Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,421   Online: 1038

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Yeah, John. But jeez... It's only been three days. You guys in Duvall. You know your time is coming again. Can you say Lake Snoqualmie River?

I had a job a few years back on Snoqualmie Ridge up past the falls. Commuted daily from Monroe. It was three years of tap dancing with floods and snowstorms on Hwy 203 to Fall City, then up the hill past the falls to the ridge.

In 2009 I was headed home and was the final vehicle allowed to pass before they shut down the highway. By the time I got to the Tolt River in Carnation the water was flowing 3-inches deep over the road, and I was doing exactly what they warn drivers not to do in a flood. With those embankment drop-offs on both sides of the road, I could barely see the painted lines. It was like driving across a lake. I kept thinking I would miss a turn, plunge off the edge, flip over, and drown.

That was the same series of storms where this happened...

I love the Pacific Northwest weather. It's so... Darwinian.

Ken
    lol, Ken, it's Lake Duvall... ;-) I still remember the last time Duvall became an island... Woodinville-Duvall Road got damaged that time. Which happens to be the same storm you're talking about.

Anyway, there's going to be an emergency training drill in Carnation at the Tolt-MacDonald park. Ralph Javins will be there, showing off a self-contained HAM radio setup. You're welcome to swing by, if you'd like. I'll be there as well, with a Domke F-2 bag full of gear. Event will occur at the barn, so it won't be wet inside. It's an all-day event. I will probably be there from 10 am until about noon, at which time I'll be headed off to visit Doug about a finder for the F.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Anyway, there's going to be an emergency training drill in Carnation at the Tolt-MacDonald park.
    When is that? This weekend? Tomorrow?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ken
    Ken:

If it's of interest to you, we are also having an emergency training drill back home in CA. We will be on the beach and simulate that we are out of beer. The team will have to quickly gather together with a series of iPhones and dollar bills to figure out where the cheapest case of PBR can be had without missing too many sweet waves...

Please come home, Snoopy...

"Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ken
    Tomorrow. Looks like it goes from 8 am to 1 pm. Earthquake training exercise...

Details: http://carnationduvallcitizencorps.org

-J
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewDunn View Post
    Please come home, Snoopy...
    Heh, heh... Nicely played...

It's been quite a while since I saw AD drive Ara into retirement. And I probably wouldn't even recognize the freeway systems anymore. I just lit the wood stove up here for the first time this season. Only ten-and-a-half months to go. In LA the Santa Anas haven't even begun yet.

Wow.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tomorrow. Looks like it goes from 8 am to 1 pm. Earthquake training exercise...
    I might try to stop by if the downpour isn't too bad...

Ken

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cool. I'll PM you my cell...

-J

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks.

I've got six 4x5 holders loaded and left over from summer that I want to use before I start a marathon processing session for the other exposed sheets waiting in the fridge. So if I make it I won't be hard to spot. I'll be the only 6' 6" 230-pound fellow carrying a pristine 4x5 Crown Graphic with a Graflite flashbulb unit attached.

I'll stand out like a sore thumb.

Ken

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks.

I've got six 4x5 holders loaded and left over from summer that I want to use before I start a marathon processing session for the other exposed sheets waiting in the fridge. So if I make it I won't be hard to spot. I'll be the only 6' 6" 230-pound fellow carrying a pristine 4x5 Crown Graphic with a Graflite flashbulb unit attached.

I'll stand out like a sore thumb.

Ken
    Ken, neither Ralph, nor I made it down there. I'm suspecting that you did the same.

Anyway, typing this while on generator power - Duvall proper has power, but not the Lake Marcel/Stillwater Hill part of Duvall. Lost it around 4:30 pm.

-J

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken, neither Ralph, nor I made it down there. I'm suspecting that you did the same.

Anyway, typing this while on generator power - Duvall proper has power, but not the Lake Marcel/Stillwater Hill part of Duvall. Lost it around 4:30 pm.

-J
    Nope, I didn't make it either. Heavy rain and strong winds. Wasn't going to trash the beautiful old equipment.

We haven't lost power. At least not yet. But part two of this storm is tomorrow, so we'll see.

This is awfully damned early for me to be worrying about trees being blown over and crashing through the roof. All of the trees still have their leaves though, so the danger is there. And when the ground again gets permanently soaked in a few more weeks the 120-foot firs and hemlocks are always a season-long threat.

I may try some fall colors this year out along the Snoqualmie Valley trail using b&w 8x10, weather permitting. Maybe we can try again...

Ken

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin