Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,078   Online: 870

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys. Damn, the forecast doesn't look good for bus riding and transits. And I hate when I have to drive and going in and out of car with wet shoes and clothing. So I guess the city is not so alive in Nov eh?

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I was typing there have been more entries.
    3 days? Not much time. The ferry ride to Victoria might be worth it, if it is not terribly socked in. If you are just in Victoria for a day (or a few hours) just stay downtown, don't waste time on buses. It is a lovely little city.

Unlike my neighbour to the south, I don't mind this wet time of year. I usually do more photography during our wet winter than during the summer. (But then I was raised in eastern Canada. Don't miss snow one bit.)

P.S. Boots

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Goretex sells well in this area .

There are some photo opportunities. This was from a very rainy day two weekends ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wet leaves.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You just have to rethink the way you approach photography. After those 23+ years if I've learned anything it's that you can't wait around for a good weather day to do it. You just need to adapt.

For instance, I've developed the art of street-style photography, or something resembling that anyway, but done from the driver's side window of my small truck. The camera bag and lenses are on the passenger seat. The heater is on. The equipment doesn't get trashed. I don't catch pneumonia and die. All in all, a good deal. You'd be surprised the interesting subject matter one can find. Just stay away from playgrounds and government buildings.

If during your three days it's non-stop raining, maybe you could rent a car and do something similar?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Space Needle area, a music history building covered with brass. Harbour area too are good place to take picture. If sunny, visit butterfly garden now far away from B Garden in Victoria. The garden in a hot house, if sunny, light can pass through it and there are three thousand of butterfly flying. You should go there in the morning and they are active. They will hid in the afternoon. If rain and dark, save your time and money, go else where.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm pretty sure the Butterfly Gardens is still in the same spot near Butchart Gardens. I was there in August. There's another butterfly greenhouse (Butterfly World, maybe) in Coombs. A good 2 hour drive (and MUCH further by bus) away from Victoria, mid-Island. Anybody coming to the mid-Island should let me know - I can point you to lots of spots on and off the beaten tourist track, and maybe even provide a haven from the damp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Man, you guys make it sound depressing here. Granted, Seattle is not at its best in November, dark, grey, and wet...

The downtown core is a busy place regardless of the weather (except weekend mornings), but not really architecturally interesting until you get out to Pioneer Square. Then wander up to the Farmer's Market. Avoid the waterfront on Saturday mornings, nothing's open except the cruise ship terminal, disgorging visitors with glum expressions. You may safely give the Seattle Center a miss altogether.

The University of Washington campus is worth a stroll, as is Capitol Hill. Jimi Hendrix is buried in the cemetery at Volunteer Park.

Some interesting old buildings and urban decay in Georgetown, plus the Museum of Flight is at nearby Boeing Field.

Ballard is a nice place to visit, but not exactly photogenic. Nearby are the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, the fish ladder, and the Shilshole Bay Marina.

I think Victoria has more photo ops, but then I've only been there a handful of times and not for very long. I've never been up island, I would dearly love to travel the coast some time.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really depressing. More like frustrating, I think. I grew up in an arid climate. The day I finally left Los Angeles it was 106F/41C. So I like the cool and rain. My favorite climate feature here has always been that the ambient water temperature in my darkroom never exceeds 68F/20C. Even during the "hottest" month of August. In LA I used to process with 84F/29C water. Or try to.

But sometimes 10½ (or last year 11½) months of near non-stop rain can get frustrating. The summer before last we had only about 3 weeks in August of continuous, predictable non-rainy days, remember? Not so bad using my 35mm Canonet QL17. But a bit more of a problem with my 8x10 Calumet C1. Can't really tuck that guy under my jacket.

So I think we do the OP an injustice if we act like the Chamber of Commerce and don't tell him the truth when he asks. That's why I gave him a realistic shutter/aperture combination to expect. And realistic light and contrast levels he will encounter. And a suggestion for an alternate way to get out and do some photos without drowning. And a NWS link to monitor the Seattle weather in real time up to the point he eventually arrives.

Hopefully he can actually do something with that information to enhance his visit photographically.

If I were visiting Phoenix in late August and asked what's it like I'd darned sure want somebody to tell me the truth. That sometimes it gets so hot that the airport has to shut down because the air is so thin that planes can't get off the ground by the end of the runway. That's hot. And would probably affect how I approached my picture-taking. And safety while doing so.

Heck, I didn't even begin to describe the ritual November flooding episodes. Here in Snohomish County we've had three 100-year floods in the last 12 years, or so. Twice local levees have breached and flooded the valleys for months. I know every cut-off-by-flooding highway choke point by heart. One flood was then followed by a massive ice storm that dropped huge Douglas firs that just missed my house.

This is an interesting corner of the world...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-05-2012 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Getting my summers correct...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hear, hear Ken. Don't come in November if you're not ready for gray and wet. If you have a choice, almost any other month might be better. If you live with snow, come in February. There's a good chance we'll have snow drops and crocuses and maybe even some pretty nice days.
    But today, there's blue breaks in the clouds, and the temp is mild. I'm getting outside.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You don't need to bring film to Seattle. Glazer's Camera has a very good supply of film. Drop in, you'll like what you see! I do most of my film purchasing from them. If they don't have it, then I go to Freestyle or B&H.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin