Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,923   Online: 1011

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK... So if the OP does end up in Seattle over three consecutive days of bad weather, here's an oddball option for walking the city streets in the rain without getting wet. You won't find this photo-op in too many cities:

And here's a background video from The History Channel with some of the backstory (the part about flushing the toilets is sadly true):

It's a standard Seattle touristy thing to do. But it's also a bit of a unique touristy thing with interesting historical anecdotes. Not everyone's cup of tea. And definitely not doing flower pictures in gardens. But worth doing if you haven't already at least once before. And, like me, you enjoy oddball adventures.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-05-2012 at 02:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Daemon spelling...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last time my family and I went to Seattle we took the Duck tour and visited Chihuly exhibit in the Seattle center. I liked them both! Anyway, you only have three days - there is plenty to see. Just dress up for a drizzling rain and laugh at all these complaining locals - you don't have to survive there for months at a time ;-).

If you'll get a car, another attraction in Seattle area that I like is Snoqualmie falls. We used to go there a few times when we lived in Bellevue. Depending on weather, it could be quite beautiful.

Oh, and there is a thread on apug about Ted Gangler's exhibition of color carbon prints in November. If you can see it, you're in for a real treat!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    If you'll get a car, another attraction in Seattle area that I like is Snoqualmie falls. We used to go there a few times when we lived in Bellevue. Depending on weather, it could be quite beautiful.
    Good call, Eugene!

Depending on the precipitation it could also be terrifying. Have you ever stood on that little viewing platform suspended over the canyon after three days of heavy rains? When there is more water thundering over the falls per second than is emptying from the Columbia River into the sea? That platform shakes like it's tearing loose from the canyon wall.

Bring a plastic baggie for your camera...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Naturally, after yesterday's sodden rains, this morning started up with blue skies and brilliant sunshine. I managed to shoot a roll of 645 slide film - I'll post something if they look good when I get them back.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Good call, Eugene!

Depending on the precipitation it could also be terrifying. Have you ever stood on that little viewing platform suspended over the canyon after three days of heavy rains? When there is more water thundering over the falls per second than is emptying from the Columbia River into the sea? That platform shakes like it's tearing loose from the canyon wall.

Bring a plastic baggie for your camera...

Ken
    I experienced that once, might have been my first visit there. Absolutely amazing. Was I disappointed when I went back in August! If there's a restaurant in the resort loft still, I may have to go back. Haven't been for a few years.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Need advice for Seattle

While in Seattle make time for the Pike Place Market. Rain or shine there are lots of photo op's and plenty of places to eat, drink and just hang.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you guys for the advice. 3 days in Nov seems like too risky to expect friendly weather so I am postponing.
    Ken, that tour sounds really interesting I'll make sure to book when I'm there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh MFstooges,

We did not really mean to dissuade you from coming. Seattle is fun any time of the year, and it's worth a visit no matter what the forecasters say (and they all lie anyway). I love to visit Seattle in absolutely any weather. Please understand, we live here in Pacific NW all the time, and after a few months of vitamin D deficiency we all get grumpy about the weather. But it really is not THAT bad, especially if it's just for three days

Eugene.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Naturally, since the OP started this thread, we have had 3 days of mostly sunny weather here in the Vancouver area (100 miles or so north of Seattle, and north of Victoria as well).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And tomorrow the forecast is for sunny all day Saturday. Then next week just Wednesday and Thursday will have some sun.

So, it's quite variable. But for the most sun, you'll need to come during our hit-or-miss summer, which may be summer, and it may not. Depends. We don't know.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin