Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,445   Online: 801

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    As I said, just a little drizzle
    :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
    930 AM PST TUE NOV 20 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SEATTLE HAS ISSUED A WIND
    ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PST THIS EVENING.

* SOME AFFECTED LOCATIONS... SEATTLE...TACOMA...EVERETT...
    OLYMPIA...CENTRALIA...BREMERTON...AND BELLEVUE.

* TIMING...GUSTY WINDS WILL DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON WITH THE
    PASSAGE OF A VIGOROUS FRONT. THE STRONGEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO
    OCCUR BETWEEN 1 PM AND 5 PM PST.

* WIND...INCREASING FROM THE SOUTH AT 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45
    MPH.

* IMPACTS...WINDS THIS STRONG CAN SNAP SMALL TREE BRANCHES...
    TOPPLE SMALL OR SHALLOW ROOTED TREES...AND CAUSE LOCAL POWER
    OUTAGES.

We just now lost power in the building where I'm working due to severe wind gusts. The building was shaking. There is torrential rain falling outside. And it's damned dark out there...

Scotty! Beam me to sunny Nanaimo!!

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Went out into the wet wild woods today. Between squalls. Took a few piccys with the Crown Graphic. Middle of the day and the shadow areas didn't register on my spot meter, the bright spots were 3. Looooong exposures on HP5.

My usual November consolation - picking edible mushrooms in those wet wild woods - is a bust this year. September and October were too hot and dry. The chanterelles are all hiding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, the weather turned ***********, put your own word in here, if it's not rain it wind, if it's not one of these it's both. Oh joy. Remember those comments not long ago about how long will the hot spell last? Until November.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was mixed sun and cloud and light rain in Point Roberts Washington this afternoon. Back in BC, there was a beautiful rainbow to the east (at about 3:00 p.m.)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bright, sunny, and very very windy this afternoon. I think I'll skip raking until April.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
    435 PM PST MON DEC 3 2012

...HEAVY RAINFALL OVER THE LAST SEVERAL DAYS AND ABOVE NORMAL
    RAINFALL OVER THE LAST TWO TO 3 WEEKS WILL LEAD TO INCREASE
    RISK OF LANDSLIDES IN WESTERN WASHINGTON...

RAINFALL OF 2 TO 5 INCHES IN THE LOWLANDS OVER THE PAST WEEK HAS
    INCREASED SOIL MOISTURE TO HIGH LEVELS ACROSS WESTERN WASHINGTON.
    HEAVY RAINFALL OF 1 TO 2 INCHES IS EXPECTED OVERNIGHT TONIGHT AND
    INTO TOMORROW. THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN WILL PUT EXTRA PRESSURE ON
    SOIL INSTABILITY...

And so it goes. Only eight more months until August...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh lord!! LOL probably a Nikonos is a better investment

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    Oh lord!! LOL probably a Nikonos is a better investment
    Just invest heavily in GoreTex!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could be worse. Out on the Olympic Peninsula the rain gauges are calibrated not in inches, but in feet. The massive Lake Quinault Lodge rain gauge located in the Quinault Rainforest averages 15-feet (4.6-meters) each year.

As a side note, a biologist I knew once told me that because of our never-ending rain a temperate rainforest, like the western edges of the US Pacific Northwest and British Columbia further to the north, has a higher aggregate total biomass per cubic meter than even a tropical rainforest like that in the Amazon Basin.

Because of this if you've ever done any true wilderness backpacking here you learn real quick that it's almost impossible to wander off-trail very far. Often even for only a few feet. We never had to worry too much about the Boy Scout kids getting lost on overnight hikes. Just too impenetrable. Only one way in and one way back out.

Having once worked as a field geologist, it fell to me to teach the boys some rudimentary land navigation skills using a magnetic compass. Pretty useless skill set, though, when all one can do is follow the trail forward and backward...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 12-04-2012 at 12:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling errors that haunt one for life...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin