Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,051   Online: 891
      
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 112
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA, Pac/NW
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    368
    MF,
    Are you on your Seattle trip, or have you already taken the trip?

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    191
    No Marc, sorry I cancelled that, these guys scared me so I went to eastern sierra instead. Snow works better for me heheh.
    This year I won't visit Seattle.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA, Pac/NW
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    368
    I understand!
    With continuing weather anomalies blamed on 'global warming,' trying to pre-plan a trip based on
    historical weather norms, or long range forecasts, is becoming increasingly difficult.

    I just read that Chicago may break an 18 year snow record tomorrow.
    Not a record of accumulated snowfall...but a record of 'snow less' days.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...hp_ref=chicago

    Well...hope you had a nice trip anyway. For your next Seattle trip, try for September.
    I've always had great luck with Seattle weather around the autumnal equinox.

    Marc

  4. #64
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,115
    Images
    210

    Need advice for Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    Looking to visit Seattle and probably the butchart garden in Victoria by end of Nov. I'm thinking it will probably be overcast so I'm planning to bring 400 iso film bw and color. Should I just bring chrome for color and forget the negative?
    Do they have good bus system there? Or is it better to rent a car? Does Seattle normally have better photo ops than Victoria BC?
    I did not read the other posts, I did visit Seattle and shot on Kodachrome 64 in 2010, the shots were fine ok chrome, especially if you visit the music project building (the crazy ugly/beautiful multi colored building near the space needle). Bring higher ASA film for the inside areas of the fish market and make sure to find "the troll under the bridge" and use high speed film for that.

    This guy...



    It's past November so this may not help, but perhaps you've pushed things back and it's helpful...

    The bus system is... Functional, interesting and frightening, don't rely on people to be helpful, the bus riding part of society is very apathetic and are sometimes like walking zombies with no push to better themselves or try hard because of social structures in the area, it can be very depressing and sad.

    The coffee is excellent and the chocolate is good too.

    Good luck!


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  5. #65
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,115
    Images
    210

    Need advice for Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Man, you guys make it sound depressing here. Granted, Seattle is not at its best in November, dark, grey, and wet...

    The downtown core is a busy place regardless of the weather (except weekend mornings), but not really architecturally interesting until you get out to Pioneer Square. Then wander up to the Farmer's Market. Avoid the waterfront on Saturday mornings, nothing's open except the cruise ship terminal, disgorging visitors with glum expressions. You may safely give the Seattle Center a miss altogether.

    The University of Washington campus is worth a stroll, as is Capitol Hill. Jimi Hendrix is buried in the cemetery at Volunteer Park.

    Some interesting old buildings and urban decay in Georgetown, plus the Museum of Flight is at nearby Boeing Field.

    Ballard is a nice place to visit, but not exactly photogenic. Nearby are the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, the fish ladder, and the Shilshole Bay Marina.

    I think Victoria has more photo ops, but then I've only been there a handful of times and not for very long. I've never been up island, I would dearly love to travel the coast some time.
    It is depressing, I was there 3 days for my trip and when I landed in Colorado from there I literally cried, I'm this dude in a rental car crying from joy of being out of such a miserable place lol, I'm glad you enjoy it but I hope I never go back, I'd fear I might kill myself or something...


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  6. #66
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,115
    Images
    210

    Need advice for Seattle

    Along with the above image, here's one more from the trip, not all the images were good but a few images I got were nice at least.




    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  7. #67
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,794
    Images
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    It is depressing, I was there 3 days for my trip and when I landed in Colorado from there I literally cried, I'm this dude in a rental car crying from joy of being out of such a miserable place lol, I'm glad you enjoy it but I hope I never go back, I'd fear I might kill myself or something...
    I've read that Washington State has one of the higher suicide rates in the US.



    And that the Puget Sound region also has—paradoxically—one of the highest incidence rates of skin cancer in the country. This is due to the relatively few days each year where the sun does shine. Seems it's so rare that when it does actually happen everyone runs outside fearful they'll never see it again, and ends up getting sunburned by refusing to come back in. (*Source: My personal physician, who used the term the "episodic" to describe the phenomenon.)



    My doctor further related that vitamin D deficiency is a huge problem here, also due to the chronic lack of any sustained sunshine. He said he and the other physicians routinely recommend supplements to their patients. And that low levels of vitamin D have been linked to increased levels of depression. (See first sentence above...)



    I just checked the NWS forcast. Only cloudy tomorrow! But rain, or a chance of rain, for at least the next six days out after that. There was some unexpected weak sun yesterday. But it only lasted for about an hour. Maybe less. I dunno. I sneezed and missed most of it...



    Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

  8. #68
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,115
    Images
    210

    Need advice for Seattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I've read that Washington State has one of the higher suicide rates in the US.



    And that the Puget Sound region also has—paradoxically—one of the highest incidence rates of skin cancer in the country. This is due to the relatively few days each year where the sun does shine. Seems it's so rare that when it does actually happen everyone runs outside fearful they'll never see it again, and ends up getting sunburned by refusing to come back in. (*Source: My personal physician, who used the term the "episodic" to describe the phenomenon.)



    My doctor further related that vitamin D deficiency is a huge problem here, also due to the chronic lack of any sustained sunshine. He said he and the other physicians routinely recommend supplements to their patients. And that low levels of vitamin D have been linked to increased levels of depression. (See first sentence above...)



    I just checked the NWS forcast. Only cloudy tomorrow! But rain, or a chance of rain, for at least the next six days out after that. There was some unexpected weak sun yesterday. But it only lasted for about an hour. Maybe less. I dunno. I sneezed and missed most of it...



    Ken
    Thanks Ken,

    The sad part is I was only there 2.5 days and both days were clear blue skies for about 3 hours mid day each day. I was very lucky (mid December) but it didn't stop the feeling. I think it was the absorption of the sadness from empathy from others, or something... It's never happened before... Also, Colorado is so beautiful in comparison that may has played a part.

    And so it goes...


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #69
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    11,574
    Images
    59
    I really like Seattle.

    But then, I am acclimatized to the weather, and I spend a good chunk of my Seattle time in the film, darkroom and lighting section of Glazer's.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  10. #70
    flatulent1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I really like Seattle.

    But then, I am acclimatized to the weather, and I spend a good chunk of my Seattle time in the film, darkroom and lighting section of Glazer's.
    I wish they'd move the used film cameras there. Then I'd have no reason to cross the street.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA


    Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin