Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,061   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Need advice for Seattle

Looking to visit Seattle and probably the butchart garden in Victoria by end of Nov. I'm thinking it will probably be overcast so I'm planning to bring 400 iso film bw and color. Should I just bring chrome for color and forget the negative?
    Do they have good bus system there? Or is it better to rent a car? Does Seattle normally have better photo ops than Victoria BC?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'd shoot color negative, forgetting the chrome. But that's my taste, not yours.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Butchart Gardens at the end of November?

Not the most colourful time to be there.

Victoria has a good bus system. Seattle I am unsure of.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    I'd shoot color negative, forgetting the chrome. But that's my taste, not yours.
    I too prefer negative but if weather won't provide too much contrast then I probably shoot some velvias.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Butchart Gardens at the end of November?

Not the most colourful time to be there.

Victoria has a good bus system. Seattle I am unsure of.
    So Butchart might not be a good idea? hmmm.....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Seattle (and the surrounding suburbs) are a big place. The quality of public transit really depends on where you are staying and where you want to visit. The inner-most downtown area is relatively small and walkable assuming you are okay with some rain. The bus system is decent. If you want to go further out though it could be 30 minutes to an hour between buses.

What sort of subjects do you want to photograph? Any locations in mind?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    Seattle (and the surrounding suburbs) are a big place. The quality of public transit really depends on where you are staying and where you want to visit. The inner-most downtown area is relatively small and walkable assuming you are okay with some rain. The bus system is decent. If you want to go further out though it could be 30 minutes to an hour between buses.

What sort of subjects do you want to photograph? Any locations in mind?
    I'll be travelling light with 35mm so I'm thinking of walking around town if there are many nice architectural or human subjects otherwise I may just take ferry to Victoria BC and burn more frames there. I saw some nice pictures of the town.
    I'm also interested to see Olympic park but only have 3 days I don't think it will be enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 400 speed film will give you 1/125 sec at around f/5.6 that time of year. By the end of November there won't be much more than 8-9 hours of human usable light each day. Less for a camera. And less if it's cloudy. Which it is for weeks at a time. You can expect 4-6 stops less light than sunny-16 on most days. Contrasts are very flat.

And it rains. And rains. And rains. Not a deluge. This is a temperate rainforest climate. It's just always a light rain and always wet. And if by chance it isn't wet, just wait five minutes. There are sunny days. But they often arrive with only a few hours of advanced notice. Or more likely no notice. And two hours of sun can be the definition of "sunny day". Like, you went to the bathroom and missed it. Until next month. Again.

A few days ago I took the grill out of the barbeque intending to clean it for the winter. Got interrupted and left it leaning on the porch. Just now went to take out the trash for pickup. The thing is already covered with mold. Only a few days.

Think I'm kidding? Check out this NWS link for Seattle. Bookmark it. Follow it over time. Resolve never to move here.

Ken

P.S. It's raining outside right now. Imagine that..
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a weather page for Victoria, including projections for next week: http://www.cbc.ca/bc/weather/s0000775.html

Note that the temperatures are Celsius, not Fahrenheit

The projected low of 1 degree for Friday is somewhat unusual.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So much depends on what you want. Seattle is BIG, and the urban sprawl goes a long way. Victoria is smaller, and you can get out of it in less time. But that's me - when I'm in a city my first concern is getting out of it again. There's always something to see at the Butchart Gardens, but November is not going to give you the punch of colour you see in their advertising. Now Goldstream Park, just outside Victoria has the salmon run this time of year - which also means lots of scavenging birds including eagles. Then there's the big ol' trees all over the place, hiking trails, waterfalls, the estuary, Mount Finlayson, not to mention you can camp at Goldstream all year round. (We spent Christmas there in our little camper last year.) Fort Rodd Hill (and Fisguard Lighthouse) and Royal Roads, just west of Victoria, are very easy to access by bus. They're also great for wandering around with a camera.
    I've spent very little time in Seattle, and just wanted to get the heck out when I was there. No offence Seattlites - I feel the same in ANY big city - Vancouver, Tokyo, Hamburg. If you like big cities, the advice to head to the centre is probably the best.
    It is the Pacific coast in November - typically the greyest, wettest month. Be prepared.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No offense taken. I actually live about 45 minutes north of Seattle in the foothills. But I was born and raised in the greater Los Angeles area. Seattle seems like a small, quaint frontier-like town to me. And I've lived here for 23+ years now.

Matt, Sunny day on Nov 10th? Six whole days from now? Wanna' bet...?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin