Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,189   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How Old Is Too Old For Colour Paper and Processing Chems

I'm relatively new to developing and printing, restricting myself to b&w to this point. However when I acquired through fleabay a job lot of developing/processing equipment it included amongst other things four colour processing kits and some 11 x 14 and 8 x 10 colour paper, all out of date and I'm wondering if I am wasting my time even opening the packets. How old is too old?? The chems have never been opened, some of the paper has been opened, I can't vouch for how they have been stored.

Here are the details:

Photo Paper
    Kodak Supra III, date written on boxes 23/11/04 (assume purchase date)

Processing Chems
    Agfa AP 94 (RA-4)Kit, date on kits 5/8/2005

thanks

Colin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well if one of the developer bottles is closer to black instead of clear, it's dead. The clear fixer part of the blix will throw sulfur if it's dead.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Regarding paper, I'm using the last of my boxes of Endura dated April 2011 and the paper is going slightly cream in the borders. It's most noticeable when you place the paper next to something pure white. I quite like it, or maybe more accurately, I like it more than I like the wafer thin Fuji paper.

I've found that Kodak chems go bad around two years after purchase, colour developer B seems to be the most sensitive.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Well if one of the developer bottles is closer to black instead of clear, it's dead. The clear fixer part of the blix will throw sulfur if it's dead.
    That is pretty much all you need to know about the chemicals, but there is a good chance the developer will be fine if unopened. Liquid fixer is weird; sometimes it see to last forever and other times it goes bad over one season.

But I would bet the paper is a loss. Maybe freezing would let it keep that long. I never had much luck with color paper beyond a few years even when refrigerated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your tips, the processing solutions actually look like they are ok, still sealed and clear, the paper I'm guessing is for the round file.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well don't pitch it until you test some, if you can't, there are a few members here from "down under" who will likely be more than willing.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Not sure what the round file is but if it's a waste bin then this might be the correct place for it eventually but only after you give the paper a try. I might be misquoting him but I thought PE has said that paper should be good for at least 5 years, after which it will presumably deteriorate at a speed which is unknown

I got some Supra III when I bought my CPE2 and I suspect it was probably 5 years old. It seemed fine to me. I cannot say it was as good as new as I had never had new Supra III paper but it was certainly usable

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The supra III will still produce an image, no doubt. the base will have yellowed a bit, and the color shift will be in that direction too, but it can probably be corrected. Give it a try.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As long as photographic paper still has some sensitivity I would be reluctant to throw it away. It still could be used for photograms and alike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like the paper gets a second life. Should I use a negative with strong vibrant colours or a subdued image for the test?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin