Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,709   Online: 958

Shooter
    35mm RF

Landscape photography locations near Atlanta

I am going to Atlanta over ThanksGiving. This is the first time I will be shooting with my large-format camera. Does anyone have recommendations for good landscape locations near Atlanta city? Alternatively if there are interesting locations in Atlanta I'm open to that as well

Thanks in advance
    -Akshay

Images
    Try Stone Mountain. You can walk up the back side of the mountain. There's 'graffitti' carved into the stone that dates back to the early 1900's. Makes for fantastic B&W images. I don't have anything scanned from what I took 16 years ago from when my wife and I climbed it back when here parents lived there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I second Stone Mountain. Also Kennesaw Mountain N. of Atlanta, and the shores of lake Alatoona.

South of Atlanta there's the Atlanta Motor Speedway, though that's better when there's actually a race there than when it's empty, and might be difficult during a race to shoot LF (hey, it's urban landscape right? )

If you're willing to drive about an hour north, there's Chattanooga with Lookout Mountain and a railroad museum and lots of other stuff too.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Downtown Atlanta is loaded with great image opportunities. The buildings and skyline are magnificent. As I recall there are a few good sites out north right off of I85/I75 where you can get a beautiful shot of the entire city skyline. Certainly agree on Kennesaw and Stone Mountain.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akshaydhavle View Post
    I am going to Atlanta over ThanksGiving. This is the first time I will be shooting with my large-format camera. Does anyone have recommendations for good landscape locations near Atlanta city? Alternatively if there are interesting locations in Atlanta I'm open to that as well

Thanks in advance
    -Akshay
    If you're just getting started with large format, you may want to work at Piedmont Park, which is a lovely landscape right on the edge of Midtown. Plenty to see, easy to get to and get around. That will give you some practice before you start getting to deeper subjects.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any part of the Chattahooochee River park has good opportunities for shooting riverscapes. Up in the Roswell/Marietta Area Sope Creek has rapids and ruins to shoot, out west to Sweetwater State Park for more ruins and rapids as well as a nice fishing lake. Red Top Mountain has a few interesting places too.
    Gary Beasley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin