Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,892   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Newfoundland Trip

Hi everyone,
    In September 2013, I intend to go to Newfoundland. I was wondering if some of you have done such a trip. I am interested in rocks formation, cliffs etc. I intend to go in the western region of Newfoundland and stay around Norris Point. If you have some experience in that region I will happy if you can share it with me.
    Thank you
    Jacques

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great place to visit! It is pretty big, though, so plan for enough time. Plan a stay at Rocky Harbour, on the west coast, and visit Gros Morne NP. Go up to Saint Anthony's, and enjoy the whale watching, and visit L'Anse-Aux-Meadows from there. Stick to the coast as you go east, and stop for a few days in Twillingate; look up Melvin Horvath while you're there.

Brigus, on the east side, has some gorgeous scenery, and an archaeological dig which you can visit.

If you're driving, watch out for the Newfie Speed-Bumps (moose)!

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dan thank you fot the tips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They speak another language over there.

For example:

him- "Look at 'em ducks flyin' up dere."

t'other- "M R not ducks!"

him- "Osar!"

t'other- "M R not!"

him again- "C D E D B D wings?"

t'other again- "Whale oil beef hooked, M R ducks!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really shouldn't laugh but that's good Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't bite off more than is feasible. Take time to enjoy the people. They have the hugest welcoming hearts of anyone I have come across in the world, if you take the time to say hello. They have little patience for those who are in too much of a hurry, though.

Take a good spread of clothing. September can be wonderful and summer like, although always cooler from the close atlantic influence than central Canada is at the same time. It can also turn cool and rain, and you may find yourself a long way from somewhere to get warm.

Yes, don't plan to drive at night. I'm not kidding. Moose are a major issue.

I spent a week poking not more than 10km from David Whites' cabin where we holidayed two summers ago, outside of Lewsisporte, I did not feel short changed photographically staying so close to home.

Previously about 12 years ago I have taken in Gros Morne, St. Anthony's, and Lanse aux Meadows, and they are all most worth the trip.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can't go too far wrong anywhere in NL!

If you're staying primarily in Norris Point, I would suggest concentrating on Gros Morne park. Some of the best places are a bit challenging for packing a 4x5, but if you're up to it both the long and short Green Gardens trails and the mountain (Callaghan) trail are world class. Both are all day trips if you're photographing, and even then you'll probably be rushed.

For shooting from your trunk, I've always liked the light at Lobster Cove Head and Broom Point, both in the park, as well as Arches Provincial park a little further up the coast. In this area, I have also spent days photographing around the remains of the SS Ethie, a ship that ran aground there in 1919.

Once you're up that far, a must see is Western Brook Pond. The hike in to the pond has some 4x5 worthy vistas. The boat tour is memorable and well worth the price. However, to get 4x5 (i.e. tripod) type photos you will need a sea kayak and make it an overnight trip... even then the pond is really a fiord cut off from the ocean, and it can get quite rough quite quickly, so don't try it alone or without a guide.

If you get near the Bonavista peninsula, pm me and we can try to meet up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you Ralph for all the wonderful insights and if I get to Bonavista I will send you an email. The way you describe I understand that you cannot bring your gear in the boat tour for Western Brook Pond.
    Jacques

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can bring your gear on the boat... and you should as there are some good photo opportunities on the walk in, especially on cloudy or rainy days as the fog and clouds cling to the fiord.

Although there is a small dock at the end of the fiord, it is used for letting off/picking up people doing the Long Range mountain trails (2-3 days). Next time I am in the area I am going to check if they would drop me off on the first run of the day and pick me up on the last run. The probable answer is no as they frequently cancel runs if the weather socks in and they wouldn't be able to guarantee pickup. However, there are campsites at that location so one could also camp there if they would drop/pickup. It would have to be coordinated with the park who controls the campsites and the tour company that runs the trip. It would definitely be worth it as the scenery reminds one of Yosemite, in other words, spectacular.

Anyone going to Newfoundland should be aware of the substantial discount offered by Marine Atlantic for Forces veterans. The passenger part of the N Sydney- P aux B run is free for veterans and their party (up to 4 people). On the N. Sydney - Argentia run the passenger part of the fare is reduced to half. They don't advertise it much and you can only get the reduced fare if you call their 1-800 number - can't get it on the web.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome thread, I have been itching to visit Newfoundland for a while now, and plan to this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin