Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,131   Online: 747

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Spend the whole weekend at a Moscow trolly stop and just try to produce an image anything like this -
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserve...54?INTCMP=SRCH

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I had only one run-in with police in Moscow - they told me (through gestures since my Russian extends to numbers and "I don't understand it in Russian") I could photograph in the subway but not use a tripod. Overall I found the people very relaxed and friendly; I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Seriously, don't miss the subway.

I would love to do some urbex around there, but that is of course going to be (much?) higher risk.
    Indeed, the subway stations are on my list, I hear they can be really nice with decorations and stuff.
    I also do Urbex when I can and I visited a couple of places in Germany a couple years back ( http://helino-photo.blogspot.no/2011...orium.html?m=0 )

Somewhere outside Moscow, there is a 50 km long abandoned and unfinished underground particle accelerator and I bet there are loads of other cool stuff to explore as well ^^ (the community have Russian participants who you can contact I think )
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had only two days in Moscow; I spent about 2/3 of it in the subways

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One can indeed take photos in and around Moscow subway stations - but it's not allowed in the Saint Petersburg! I've never heard a plausible explanation why the difference.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    I would rather not be clobbered for photograph the marching guards around the kremlin for example.
    The Russian soldier's memorial at the Kremlin wall is where you'll see marching guards, with lots of tourists with cameras. You may also see wedding parties there. There used to be a tradition of brides dropping flowers there, getting photographed in front of Moscow Univ (good panorama of the city), and going a couple of other places I've forgotten. Catch the stainless steel Yuri Gagarin statue on a sunny day. People gather at a bridge (Bolshchoi Kamennyi?) to watch the Kremlin turn bright red in the sunset. Lots to see, and it's all so foreign!

Charley

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I had no problem photographing in Moscow or St P. However I wax asked not to photograph in the hotel lobby.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was stopped outside the FSB (formerly KGB) building and forced to open my camera. "Would you rather have this conversation inside the building?" was a convincing argument.

A similar thing happened when I did some urban exploration photography far from the city center. I was apparently photographing some power plant, that was protected. So I was questioned and had to destroy the film.

good luck though, most things are good to photograph. I got away with this: http://erikpetersson.livejournal.com/?skip=10

/Erik Petersson
    Last edited by Erik Petersson; 03-06-2013 at 05:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lovely shots Erik and a cool story too ^^

I'll see what I end up with, bringing with me neopan 400, porta 400 and ektar 100 all in 120. (and my 5d iii when I need ultra high iso).

Taping the logos on my rolleiflex as well as the 5d iii, to avoid announcing too much what I'm carrying around (I do that everywhere but Japan )
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    It may be too late for the OP, but I just had a memory - isn't Prokudin-Gorskii's camera equipment in a museum over near the Christ the Saviour Cathedral?

Charley

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You mean in the krasniy oktiaber area? There is a good photo museum there, named Lumiere brothers or something similar. But I usually end up watching paintings when i am in moscow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin