Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,818   Posts: 1,581,645   Online: 810

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Realistically, you have very little or no time to spend in the city. Like others have said, take the subway and train from airport to airport. On a Saturday you can be stuck in bad traffic for a few hours. Don't forget, you have to check in an hour before your flight or they won't even let you check in.

Take the Airtrain followed by the E subway train to Manhattan and see how much time is left. Make sure to get the schedule for the NJ Transit train to Newark airport from Penn Station. Do not plan to take a car or bus to Newark from Manhattan.

MOMA is definitely out of the question. It is terribly crowded on Saturdays, they don't accept baggage at the coat check and if you need to leave your backpack at the coat check that alone can take up to 45min because the line will be very long. And then stand in line again to buy a ticket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have said, not really a good idea. 6 hours is not really that much time between flights imo. Plan on sitting in front of your laptop instead. jfk to nerwark is a gamble if you sight see. If you're flying international, you should give yourself 2 hours before flight time to get to the terminal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks all for your invaluable insights !

I'll see if the travel agency can change my flight back so that I have one night in NYC and have a few hours to spend there.

This might be a very frustrating trip otherwise, and as it was planned at the last moment the options were not many.

Cheers !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Woow ! Changed my trip, so I'll have some time

Thnaks to all of you, I called the agency to change the flight, and I'll land in JFK on Friday evening.

This means I'll have a short day in NYC, so I guess Central Park AND the MOMA will be in my planning (Central park in the morning, until the MOMA opens, then I'll have till 15:30/16:00 before leaving for Newark.

Is it a good idea to take a train to Manhattan late in the evening (after 11PM in my case), or should I rather use a cab ?
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would be safe and take a cab.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also, arriving at that time of the night, you'll have no traffic problems getting in to Manhattan and the cab ride will be (slightly) cheaper to boot. But plan on $40.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hey Laurent,
    Have a good one!
    Metropolitan Museum of Art is also right at CentralPark. Delightful choices!
    Dave
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The International Center of Photography is well worth a visit if you have the time. Have fun, Laurent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll make this day a very good one, I guess, if I can see Central Park and the MOMA.

The Rollei is making the trip, along with some HP5 rolls, so I hope I'll have some good shots from this trip.

Is Grand Central station still worth a visit ?

Also, are there things to avoid doing (places where NOT to photograph, people NOT to photograph, etc...) ?
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another question : if I buy MOMA or ICP tickets in advance, do I skip the lines ?
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin