Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,088   Online: 963

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unless ICP is having a new show opening the week of your arrival, it is unlikely to have a line - every time I've visited I was able to walk in and buy my ticket and enter the exhibit space without any wait. With MoMA, I think you'll be able to skip the ticket line and pick up your ticket at will-call, but there may still be a wait to enter. It really depends on what's up on the wall at the time. You may be better off going to the Metropolitan Museum (from a time-management perspective, and a budget perspective - the Metropolitan is (slightly) cheaper than MoMA). They have a photography show up right now that I want to get to see, having just visited its companion here in DC - the show at the Metropolitan is about photo manipulation in the digital age, as a counterpoint to the show that has now moved to DC about photo manipulation in the days before Photoshop (they have an excellent exhibition catalog which is well worth the price for the pre-Photoshop exhibit). There is not normally a line to enter the Metropolitan unless they have a blockbuster show, even though they are usually very busy, unlike MoMA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a little FYI, If you were planning on stopping at the B&H Superstore its closed March 25-April 3. Also check out www.njtransit.com for more information about traveling New York-Newark EWR if you like to travel by train.
    extinction meters tend to be more accurate if you substitute your morning oj for carrot juice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'have loved to visit B&H, but I think they're closed on Saturday.

I ordered some film from Adorama, it should be at my colleague's desk tomorrow, so the only shopping I might do is for a smallish bag for the Rolleiflex.

Thanks for the address for train schedules, this seems very convenient.

I'm still wondering which museum I 'll pay a visit to, which one is the "best" for photography ? I'd like to see some "classic" masters' original prints (AA, Weston, ....)
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to see Adams and Weston, you're better off looking for commercial galleries that carry their work. While MoMA and the Metropolitan certainly have them in their collections, they're not usually on display (check the museums' websites for current exhibit listings... most of MoMA is curated temporary exhibits, IIRC, and the Metropolitan usually has one or two temporary photography exhibits along with a very small sampling from their permanent collection. ICP is almost always showing 2-3 temporary exhibits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd visit the ICP then just soak in the city if I was time crunched. MOMA would need more time imo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, I'll have some time since I changed my ticket to arrive on friday evening.

I hope it'll be enough to visit the city a bit and see one museum.
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    customs will be a killer for time. you could save some by traveling light and only having carry on. then you could take the A subway from JFK to fulton street, spend a little time in lower mahattan (world trade center, battery, city hall) and grab the path at wtc to newark. then the newark air train to EWR. it will be tight, but id sure hate to miss such a great city entirely.

Shooter
    Medium Format

maybe

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I would absolutely NOT plan on anything other than getting from one airport to the other. You won't have time to do anything else. Frankly, for your sanity's sake, I'd try to re-arrange your flights so that you're coming and going from the same airport. You have the island of Manhattan between your two airports, a virtual Charybdis of traffic flow that will defy any and all attempts to cross it in a timely fashion. One sunday afternoon I was trying to leave Manhattan to return to DC in a car. It took TWO HOURS to get from Times Square INTO the Lincoln Tunnel (a grand total of 8 blocks). YES, it can be that bad.
    from an ex new yorker, ditto what he said.

often you can travel around nyc in a predictable fashion and timetable...

the ONLY time it doesn't work that way is when you absolutely, must be there on a schedule!

grand central station is really worth seeing, lotsa photo ops. i'd hit icp and wander a really wonderful city and leave time to get to ewr.

have fun laurent

jvo
    Last edited by JimO; 03-20-2013 at 03:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks again to all,

I'm nox back to France, and had a great time in NYC !

I arrived late on Friday evening, so I first paid a one hour visit to Times Square at night.

i spent about 2:30 in Central Park, then visited the MoMA (great images on display, including Bill Brandt's show), and finally wlaked down to the Flatiron and back to the hotel.

I was absolutely exhausted at the end of the day (therefore I slept well in the plane and the jet lag is manageable), but enjoyed every minute of the day. I chatted with several people who noticed the Rolleiflex and had good appreciations for it. The MoMA is wonderful, and I was lucky enough to arrive a the moment when I got my ticket in 30seconds, and enjoyed the photography collection with a limited number of other people. My visit to the sculpture/painting sections was less agreable, as the crowd had began to arrive 5amazing to see that many people filing for "The cry" or a Van Gogh, only to take a crappy image on their phone.

If I did well enough, I'll have some photos of these people taking images of paintings or photos...

Central Park by itself was also an enchantment, and I had to do myself violence to leave it to see sometjing else.

People in generalhave been very friendly during this trip, and I really appreciated this also!

I've been quite frugal, as I explosed only 10 rolls in the wek (4 on the beach in Fort LAuderdale, 6 in NYC)

The trip ended with a very nice time at the Newark airport security (no kidding) : the TSA team was very friendly and smiling, and even the manual inspection of my film was done with a smile and they gave me plenty of time to repack everything afterwards.

I even managed to bring 5 boxes of 4x5 Tri-X, for a very decent price, saving about 150 Euros in total...

Cheers!
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Glad you got to do all those things and also visit Central Park:-) cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin