Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,476   Online: 1203

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

3 hours in NYC...

Hi,

I'll fly to the U.S.A at teh end of next week, and will spend one week in Florida.
    On my way back home, I'll be landing in JFK airport, and will leave 6 hours later from Newark.

Therefore, I hope I'll have 3 hours to spend in NYC.

What would be realistic to plan in these hours ? This will be on a Saturday, so I guess photoshopping is not an option (or maybe the Crumpler show room ?)

Cheers !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    MOMA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I did not think of this, but seems a pretty good idea !!

Will saturday traffic allow enough time for this visit ?
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    not sure I live in Toronto, but if I was only three hours in NYC thats where I would go.
    QUOTE=Laurent;1473963]I did not think of this, but seems a pretty good idea !!

Will saturday traffic allow enough time for this visit ?[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    MOMA in 3 hours is pushing it, but I guess could be done. If the weather is nice, I'd personally prefer a stroll in Central Park, with camera in hand, of course :0)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would say it would be close to impossible. Landing at JFK then waiting for luggage, then getting taxi to nyc I would think is easily close to 2 hours. Getting from NYC to Newark could take as little as 45 minutes but don't count on it. Realistically 1-1/2 hours then you need to be at airport 2 hours before flight leaves because security will be so long and slow. Leaving maybe 1 hour to look around? Not worth the aggrevation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not enough time on the ground like FM2M said. Check into this. Take a helicoptor from JFK to Newark and shoot Manhattan from the air.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yea not enough time at all, do not take a car anywhere, use the subway, but still, not enough time hardly to even leave the airport and make it back through the gate check sad

See if there is some scenery off the airport area you can photograph, I would say you'll have 30 minutes to actually DO something...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would absolutely NOT plan on anything other than getting from one airport to the other. You won't have time to do anything else. Frankly, for your sanity's sake, I'd try to re-arrange your flights so that you're coming and going from the same airport. You have the island of Manhattan between your two airports, a virtual Charybdis of traffic flow that will defy any and all attempts to cross it in a timely fashion. One sunday afternoon I was trying to leave Manhattan to return to DC in a car. It took TWO HOURS to get from Times Square INTO the Lincoln Tunnel (a grand total of 8 blocks). YES, it can be that bad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Having lived in NYC for many years I'd agree that taking a Taxi from JFK to Newark on a Saturday could be very slow and costly. The transit system, however, is quite good. There are a number of rail options:
    http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/rail-connections.pdf
    Since you have to get to Newark anyway and the trains all require a connection somewhere in Manhattan, you could take one of the trains and see what time you get into the City and play it by ear when deciding whether to emerge from underground and see a few sights.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin