Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,273   Online: 877

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Fall 2013 Japan Photo Opportunity.

If anyone is interested and would like to join me, I will be going to Japan this October for a photo sojourn and plan on visiting a unique and very interesting island off of Kyushu in the south of Japan. Yakushima is a UNESCO world heritage site and has many opportunities for landscape photography; I photograph with a 4x5 and plan on staying on the island 3-4 days. "Google" Yakushima Japan and take a look. Although i lived in Japan for 5 years I never heard of it nor did any of my friends in photography mention it, so it's on my bucket list....contact me at steiner289@gmail.com, if you would like more information. Regards, Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always wanted to go there myself, and probably will this year, but unfortunately October is out for me because of my teaching schedule.

Everyone I know who's gone has loved it, and in almost all cases, wished they had stayed longer.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Been there (lived on Kyushu for 12 years, north of Kumamoto). Neat place. Not so humid in October. Mooseontheloose, you need to run your own school then you can take time off whenever you want

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 1972 I was in Sasebo. I'd like to go back and again see Mt Unzen and Nagasaki as well. Will you be flying into Tokyo or further south. I'm not sure there is an international airport there. I haven't checked.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Curt I'll be going into Tokyo (Narita) and probably using a japan rail pass for the time i'm in country, (10-24),it's the cheapest way to get around. Andrew, Moosehead, thanks for the positive feedback. It's off the beaten track for sure, but sounds like worth taking the extra time to see. Whoa, 12 years on Kyushu, an expat you are, still in country?.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew -- I live in Kumamoto now (starting my fourth year here), but work at a university which gives me almost 5 months (paid) vacation a year. Owning my own school would definitely NOT allow me that amount of time off! The only down side is having to stick to school holidays.

Ron, I don't know if you've looked at this site yet, but it, and the book that the guy sells is an excellent resource to Yakushima. You can fly there from Osaka (Itami), Fukuoka, or Kagoshima. The prices on his site seem a bit low compared to what I checked. Of course you could take the ferry from Kagoshima as well if you have a little more time.

FWIW, you can only book flights within Japan within 60 days of your planned dates. That is also the best time to buy tickets, because they'll be at their cheapest then.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Rachelle,
    thanks for the tip on the website and book, much appreciated!
    aloha
    ron

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin