Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 914

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will probably look up all the suggestions posted here and print out the info to take with me on the trip. I am thinking of picking a downtown hotel somewhere fairly close to the waterfront.

Here is the weather site I looked at:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/tor...-weather/55488

Late May looks like mid 40s at night and mid 60s during the afternoon. Cooler temps might be nice when I'm walking around carrying a bunch of camera equipment. The rain could be an issue, but it sounds like there would be a lot of indoor activities (like the photography exhibits) to fill that time.

I actually don't like Alabama weather except in spring and fall. The heat and humidity are terrible during the summer. I'd rather not wait for warmer weather later in the summer now that I know about that photography festival. When is the peak tourist season in Toronto? I wouldn't be heartbroken about missing that. LOL!

So far no one has commented about whether photographers are well tolerated in Toronto. Do "they" ever harass people for using tripods in public areas or for not having a photography permit or anything like that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever you do, don't base your travel plans on the Leafs' playoff chances.

The locals can correct me if necessary, but I don't know of any place in Canada where photographers are hassled, unless they actually are in the way at a location where that really matters.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It wouldn't hurt to fill-out custom's forms in advance of your trip.
    Information from these USA forms can be photocopied by Canadian officials at the boarder.
    Most photo equipment has serial numbers...include all of these #'s on the declaration forms.
    This will save you paying duty on items you already own...in both directions, coming and going.

Marc

Certificate of Registration For Personal Effects Taken Abroad

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/cbp_form_4457.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to fill-out custom's forms in advance of your trip.
    Information from these USA forms can be photocopied by Canadian officials at the boarder.
    Most photo equipment has serial numbers...include all of these #'s on the declaration forms.
    This will save you paying duty on items you already own...in both directions, coming and going.

Marc

Thanks, Marc. I have a valid passport, but I haven't been out of the country in a couple decades. If you think of any other useful tidbits like that, please let me know. That would never have occurred to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The locals can correct me if necessary, but I don't know of any place in Canada where photographers are hassled, unless they actually are in the way at a location where that really matters.
    That's good to know. I don't know of many places where photographers are hassled on a wide scale, but I've heard stories. In New York I was accosted by what I assumed to be a private security guard outside one of the many skyscrapers there and he got all in my face about how I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the building we were standing in front of. He was wearing a suit and he had a gun in a holster under his coat. I knew he was wrong (and I told him so), but I wasn't about to spend any of my valuable vacation time trying to educate him (and his ego). Ever since then, I've made it a point of asking about photographer friendliness whenever I plan for a trip.

That reminds me, are there any parts of Toronto that I am better off to avoid? I was walking around on a photo expedition in Atlanta once and wasn't paying attention until I realized I had wandered into a rather scary looking area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, after coming across some stories on the web about photography policies in Toronto, I decided to post in the Toronto forum to see if I could reach a few more people who actively shoot in that city. I don't want to take for granted that I can just go around taking pictures and then find out after I get there that Canada has much more strict photography laws than the U.S.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't live in Toronto but one hour south in Hamilton; I have however never had an issue anywhere in Toronto, nor with taking a picture anywhere. Having said that I think street photography anywhere is more confrontational than years back. The one exception is the Gooderham building, the owners of which seem to think they have a ownership of the light we see. If you set up a tripod or are seen hanging around the front taking pictures, they will come out and hassle you. As far as I know, we good Canadians have never put up a fuss and settled the issue.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I don't live in Toronto but one hour south in Hamilton; I have however never had an issue anywhere in Toronto, nor with taking a picture anywhere. Having said that I think street photography anywhere is more confrontational than years back. The one exception is the Gooderham building, the owners of which seem to think they have a ownership of the light we see. If you set up a tripod or are seen hanging around the front taking pictures, they will come out and hassle you. As far as I know, we good Canadians have never put up a fuss and settled the issue.
    Thanks for assurances. I will make a note of the Gooderham building. I could do without the hassling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As spijker already suggested, my plan to ship the film by Fedex isn't going to be as simple as I thought. Crossing international boundaries introduces a whole new set of issues (and costs).

So, I have the option of bringing the film with me and then taking it back with me, or buying the film in Toronto and carrying it back to the U.S. when I leave. Which is easier? I'm expecting to shoot about 20 rolls or so of 35mm. I roll my own, so it would be much cheaper to bring it with me from home. Can I declare it on the Certificate of Registration For Personal Effects Taken Abroad (suggested by Marc B) the same as camera equipment?

If I buy film in Toronto, do I have to pay a duty on it when I come back to the U.S.?

I have heard horror stories about transporting film in checked baggage, so I assume I will need to take in a carry-on bag of some kind and send it through the x-ray. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of carrying a large-ish bag of film along with all my camera equipment around with me and I don't trust their claims about x-rays not hurting film, but it sounds like that's going to have to be the plan.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I really don't think you are going to have any issues at all with customs.
    Either way.
    Carry on xrays are not a problem.
    Bring your own or buy here no problem
    Take it back or pay to develop here, no problem.
    Customs are not going to be interested in film camera gear, but it is a good idea if you can to register the major pieces. Here we get the RCMP to fill out a little card with serial numbers to carry with us. But I have never been asked for it in 40 years and I carry serious gear.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin