Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,015   Online: 860

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Transit is fantastic in Toronto...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been going through all the exhibits listed as part of the photography festival and came across one at a place called Arta Gallery curated by a guy named Bob Carnie. Now where have I heard that name before...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest a stop past what I think Bob and Kevin still call the front of their shop - the Dylan Ellis Gallery- they always has great stuff on the walls.

The location is listed on their Elevator Digital site. Don't let the name scare you - lots of silver loving still happens there.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I would suggest a stop past what I think Bob and Kevin still call the front of their shop - the Dylan Ellis Gallery- they always has great stuff on the walls.

The location is listed on their Elevator Digital site. Don't let the name scare you - lots of silver loving still happens there.
    Thanks, Mike. I looked it up and added it to my list with a note that you recommended it. I looked through the list of artists, too.

One thing I noticed about the listings on the festival site is that it's usually no easy matter to tell from the descriptions of the exhibits whether to expect analog or digital when you get there. I have come to assume digital unless specified otherwise.

I'm not a bigot toward digital photography. I think it's wonderful because it's done so much to open up photography to exceptionally talented people who might not have given it the time of day back when film reigned supreme. But, I have practically zero interest in going out of my way to see it unless it's the subject matter that interests me.

Film photography, and especially darkroom prints, are another matter. That I will go to see regardless of the subject matter. I will stand back and take in the composition. Unworthy though I may be, I will arrogantly pass judgement on the artistic merit. I will press my nose right up to the glass to see the texture of the grain. And, if the photographer happens to be present, I will go stand close enough to bask in the euphoria of his aura.

Digital isn't bad. It's probably what made me really appreciate darkroom photography. Until digital came along, I was like everyone else. Now I'm weird.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    May 2 we open at Arta with mostly enlarger prints, right across the laneway is Picto and on the same night Shin Sugino is showing , I believe dags.
    May 8 Anthony Macri is exhibiting Mural solarizations and lith prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will only be in Toronto during the week of May 19 to 25. I was planning to go earlier until I noticed that it's still pretty cold up there. I wanted to give it a chance to warm up a little more.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The Sugino show will still be up and Arta will have one of Elevators shows up. Steve Sherman is in town that weekend doing a silver workshop, do not forget Salgado, at Metiver and ROM as I think they both will be killer shows.

Anthony Macris show will be up as well so you can see some big ass silver gelatin solarizations and Liths.
    I printed the Solarizations, Macri printed the Liths.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger View Post
    I will only be in Toronto during the week of May 19 to 25. I was planning to go earlier until I noticed that it's still pretty cold up there. I wanted to give it a chance to warm up a little more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry for the thread jacking but I'm on my way to TO for the weekend, are there any good film camera stores? I'm thinking about visiting Lomography since I've never been to one before.

Are there any meet up's this weekend? I have my Contax 645 and a handful of 120 with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Film Gear:
    Contax 645 w/ Zeiss 80mm F2
    Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm F1.8
    Polaroid 250 Land Camera

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wound up visiting the Lomography gallery/store and Downtown Camera, it was "okay". This week starts the CONTACT Photography festival, sucks I didn't get to see any of it. http://scotiabankcontactphoto.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Film Gear:
    Contax 645 w/ Zeiss 80mm F2
    Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm F1.8
    Polaroid 250 Land Camera

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin