Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,979   Online: 981

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Advice needed on a photo expedition to Toronto

My son and I are considering a week-long trip to Toronto and were wondering how photographer friendly they are, what the public transportation is like, and where to stay for easy access to photogenic locations and public transportation. I am basically into cityscape, streetscape, and urban architecture style of photography. I would almost certainly be interested in waterfront areas as well.

I shoot only 35mm B&W film, so my plan would be to fedex the film up there and fedex it back when I leave. I assume I could send it right to the hotel. It might be useful to know of any places that sell B&W film in downtown vicinity. I would probably be carrying a monopod and tripod, both small light weight. I shoot only for fun, so there is nothing commercial about the trip.

Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

-Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Huh, why fedex film to Toronto and not bring it in your carry-on luggage on the plane yourself? Henry's (www.henrys.ca) still sells B&W films of Ilford, Kodak and some Fuji & Kentmere. Check out their website for store locations and inventory. You can call ahead and have film delivered to a Henry's store of your choice free of charge. That's what I often do. Film might be cheaper in the US but fedex-ing it to Canada isn't cheap. Been there, done that. :-)

I don't know Toronto very well so I can't give you advise on scenic locations. But there are enough Torontonians here so that it will be just a matter of time before more useful advise will show up. Have nice trip!
    Last edited by spijker; 04-16-2013 at 10:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Public transit is excellent, particularly if you are located near a subway line.

Plenty of waterfront access near downtown Toronto. I was there a few months ago and I shot the city skyline from Polson Pier and Humber Bay. There are a ton of really interesting neighbourhoods to explore. I'm sure a Toronto local would have more suggestions for you.

If I had time I would have spent more time shooting in Hamilton where I was staying with a friend. You can easily take the GO train from Toronto. It is a fascinating place for photography. In a really dense area you have natural areas, industrial, 300 year old buildings, modern stuff, military stuff, railroads, waterfalls...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very short notice, but just in case you're able to travel real soon, May is the month for Contact Photo, a major annual photography festival in Toronto:

http://scotiabankcontactphoto.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Take the ferry from downtown to the Toronto Islands for great shots of the city skyline across the water. There are no cars on the islands and you can walk their length easily.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Transit is fantastic in Toronto, Henrys, Downtown Camera, Aiden Camera all downtown, If you come in May a great time of the year for Photography, Many unique ethnic districs for street photography, which means great locations to eat.

Have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow! What great timing! The plan is to go either on April 27th or May 4th. I need to check out the temperatures to make sure it won't be too cold. I'm sure we will be looking for exhibits of analog B&W photography.

Thanks for the list of places to get film.

I've been looking on Google at pictures of the city. It looks very promising. I will start looking these places up on the map. I don't plan to get a car, so it's good to hear that public transportation is good.

-Dave

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger View Post
    Wow! What great timing! The plan is to go either on April 27th or May 4th. I need to check out the temperatures to make sure it won't be too cold. I'm sure we will be looking for exhibits of analog B&W photography.

Thanks for the list of places to get film.

I've been looking on Google at pictures of the city. It looks very promising. I will start looking these places up on the map. I don't plan to get a car, so it's good to hear that public transportation is good.

-Dave
    May 2 is the day we open a show which does exhibit analoque work, Salgodo is also on at the ROM

you cannot go wrong with your timing.
    I should have added you will need a Parka and Mucklucs as our Igloos have not melted yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, after looking at airfares and hotels, we may be better off pushing the date out closer to the end of May. I'm now looking at May 19 to 26 or . Also, the temperatures will be a bit warmer, although light jacket weather is fine.

Going to Toronto was a last minute change of plans which is why we are only now researching these things. Originally we were going to go to Boston, but started considering other options in light of recent events. I now think Toronto is a better choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are used to the weather temperatures in Bama, be sure to check out the long range forecast for Toronto on the WeatherNetwork web site the week before you leave, to decide how to pack.

I have a friend who married a gal from Bama and moved there where she set up her practice (eye surgeon). He found a job with his skill set quickly.
    He never sweated so much in his life the first summer there he related to me, and that was with work, home and the car all fitted with A/C.

We consider a high of 6-10C a nice spring day if the sun is out, after a winter of cooler cloudier times.
    If you are planning a few early morning shoots, down by the water, then for you a pair of long underwear and a set of layered warm upper coverings that cam be progressively stuffed to a back pack may not be a bad call on some mornings.

The other thing is that the rain here in the spring makes you both wet and cold. Not at all like the rain where the weather is warm. Bring a rain coat; it will be a good wind breaker at the very least on early morning outings.
    I lived in for a time sub tropical Australia, where the regular evening rains were a relief to feel after the day's heat.

If you are looking for a neat half day trip and are up for about 10km of walking, going out to the end of the Leslie St Spit - now called Tommy Thomspon Park is a nice change of pace.
    Still part concrete lake fill site by weekday, but the idle sections have seen nature take over, and that is a pretty quick green contrast to so much of downtown.
    I am pretty sure the Leslie bus gets pretty close.

High Park can be nice in the spring.

The Distilery District I find pretty photogenic.
    Nearby, the underside of the elevated Gardiner Expressway, which is Lakeshore Boulevard, still a major traffic artery, gives a different look quickly, just one short walk under the railway corridor.

Yonge Dundas Square on a friday night is always a pretty good street shoorter location unless it is pouring rain. Right on one of the subway interchange points.

Union Station has nice architecture. Bring fast film, lens - not all spots that bright inside. Again, another major public transit interchange point.

If you are wondering, I live in the city of 600,000 next to Toronto, where your plane will be landing. About a 20 minute trip downtown in light non-peak traffic.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin