Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,412   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cape Cod and Boston

I'm taking a trip in the next few weeks and I would like to know of some "must have" locations to shoot. I've never been to Cape Cod, but have visited Boston 20 years ago.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ptown is a must. The national seashore in the Truro area. Lot's to see on the Cape. Perhaps a fast ferry to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard?
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My best friend and I took a trip through New England a few years ago. We're more the "giant ball of twin" sort of tourists, but there are some nice things to see.

You might be interested in the Army Duck (dukw) tour of Boston - you may get some good pictures when in the water. There are many historical buildings downtown that may make good subjects (including the bar used for the outside scenes of Cheers).
    There may be some antique carousels in the area, and those are always nice for pictures.

If you are in the Fall River area, there is Lizzy Borden's Bed and Breakfast. They have tried to restore the home to be period correct.
    Salam, MA, has a brass statue of Elizabeth Montgomery of Bewitched fame.

We didn't spend too much time in Boston, so I can't really give many ideas.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the historical attractions. I thought the salem witch stuff was overly dramatized and lacking content. Plymouth rock was underwhelming. Plymouth village was nice. Haven't been out to the cape yet. Would like to go inland and visit Thoreau's Walden Pond. Gloucester is great to visit if you like boats!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rockport, MA is great, too (motif #1). Downtown Boston is fairly walkable depending on the weather. Rowes Wharf has some interesting architecture and plenty of street shooting. The aquarium is worth seeing, photography or not. I've never been to the arburetum (sp?), but it might be worth checking out if you like plants.
    Almost anywhere on the Cape is picturesque, imo. This time of year, the tourists haven't really hit, yet, so you can still drive somewhere without it taking 3 hours to go 2 miles. I like Woods Hole and Falmouth as well as Provincetown - totally different areas. The National Seashore is great.
    If you have time to take the ferry to Nantucket or the Vineyard, go for it. Both are very scenic. I honestly can't remember now which one has them, but there is a group of cabin-like houses in cool colors (think it's on the Vineyard) - they were originally part of a church retreat, I think.

I miss Boston. Wicked bad, in fact.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don't forget the Boston Gardens... it's right next to the Boston Common, so you can park in the underground garage under the Common and walk to the Gardens, really nice this time of year, willow trees surrounding a pond, students on the grass and lovers at the pond... it's nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All great suggestions. Keep it coming...
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if you have a chance to get off the beaten path ...

go to walden pond in concord mass ...
    and if you like what seem like miles and miles
    of old textile factories ... head further south to
    fall river and then to new bedford ( old whaling city ) ...
    i'd also suggest haunted graveyards and abandoned villages
    but they are a bit far from you ( in rhode island ) ...

have fun on your trip !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking of whaling, you can go on whalewatching boat trips, which are a fun day.

Up in Maine, the perspective is that New Bedford is the center of the drug trafficking universe. People make good money fishing and leave new bedford peniless, or leave new bedford peniless because they are bringing back dope to traffic. Someone in Rockland ME wearing a "New Bedford MA" hoodie is basically either advertising, or giving credence to the idea they tend to "live hard"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How will you be arriving in Boston? If you are driving, there are many places you can stop along the way.

We had some great pictures in Maine. We stayed at Cap'n Fishes in BoothBay Harbor. They have some whale-watch excursion, but we weren't there at the right time. The "Desert of Maine" was interesting, and could give some good photos. The cog railway at Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is great, but the top can be quite foggy.
    The Waybury Inn at Middlebury, Vermont, was used for the outside scenes in Newhart (tv series). The Inn, mountains, cemetery, and college campus have good photo opportunities.

We're straying from Boston, however.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin