Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,892   Online: 996

Thread: Shops in Israel

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Shops in Israel

Shalom! I'm visiting Israel: a couple days in Jerusalem and a couple more in Tel Aviv. Anybody know of camera shops worth visiting here?

I should have enough film, but just in case, it'd be nice to know where to get 120's if I run out.

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jerusalem: Photo Prisma (www.photoprisma.co.il) (12 King george st.)
    Tel Aviv Elephant photo, otherwise known as foto film (alenby St.), or Jugend (ben yehuda corner of alenby)
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Jerusalem: Photo Prisma (www.photoprisma.co.il) (12 King george st.)
    Tel Aviv Elephant photo, otherwise known as foto film (alenby St.), or Jugend (ben yehuda corner of alenby)
    Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello, i'll be travelling to Israel (arrival at Tel Aviv, Ben Gurion airport).
    Obviously i'll take with me at least a contax and my beloved hassy with all the rolls i need.
    I wonder whether the xrays at Ben Gurion (i've heard that there will be several security checks with lots of xrays...)
    may fog my rolls. They range from 50 to 400 iso. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    in Tel-Aviv check out Fotofilm for materials and don't miss Panda Labs for a true old school analog experience. there are some second hand gear shops in Allenby street as well. have a great trip!

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by faustotesta View Post
    Hello, i'll be travelling to Israel (arrival at Tel Aviv, Ben Gurion airport).
    Obviously i'll take with me at least a contax and my beloved hassy with all the rolls i need.
    I wonder whether the xrays at Ben Gurion (i've heard that there will be several security checks with lots of xrays...)
    may fog my rolls. They range from 50 to 400 iso. Thanks
    I suggest packing a spare ISO 3200 in your film bag. The security officers may put it through a harsher X-ray scanner, but are willing to do a hand inspection if you have film that's more sensitive than ISO 800.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks everybody. The advice of carrying a 3200 iso in order to to get a hand inspection is ok. But what if the security does not grant the hand inspection and i'll have my rolls xrayed ? Are the xrays at Ben Gurion so harsh to fog films ? (50 to 400 iso).

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by faustotesta View Post
    Thanks everybody. The advice of carrying a 3200 iso in order to to get a hand inspection is ok. But what if the security does not grant the hand inspection and i'll have my rolls xrayed ? Are the xrays at Ben Gurion so harsh to fog films ? (50 to 400 iso).
    Ben Gurion airport has the weaker (typical hand carry) and stronger (typical luggage) X-ray machines for boarding passenger. Who get to use which one? It might be random, but I'm pretty sure it's profiling... If you have a lead-lined film bag, the weaker X-ray will not fog the film; but the stronger X-ray still will.

Security (I'm speaking specifically about Ben Gurion airport) will put your baggage and hand-carry items through whichever X-ray line you are placed in. There may be some slight- to no-fogging (depends how anal you are about your densitometer measurements) for your 400 speed films in the weaker X-ray. For the stronger X-ray, there will definitely be some noticeable fogging. You can take the chance — there's certainly a lot of weaker X-rays, and there is only one strong one.

But if you would rather not risk it:
    If you have ISO 1000 or faster; then, Ben Gurion security will grant you a hand inspection (which is why I suggest carrying some sacrificial ISO 3200 film), no matter which X-ray machines you happen to be placed in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Speechless

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello,
    i'm back from the Holy Land where i had a great Pilgrimage. My big concern was for the eventual fogging of films at Ben Gurion Airport. As suggested by JCC i carried a couple of 3200 iso film who have been hand inspected. The rest of them (50,100 and 125 films) have all gone through a x-ray machine at hand luggage gate. I've just developed a 120 film and it seems there's no fogging..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL001 - Copia.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	73817

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin