Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,872   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I'm afraid my motives might be questioned if I used anything but film manufactured by my employer, Kodak.
    I share your loyalty.

Although you would probably be forgiven for any of the competitor's near IR films.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't believe in 40 some odd years I've ever shot any other film than Kodak.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the loyalty Tom1956 and MattKing,

s-a, I got the Panatomic-X before I got the job, but if offered a tour of the vault I would definitely ask if there was any Panatomic-X stashed away anywhere and if anybody needed it...

There's a Kodak PlaySport camera going up in the rocket.

I want to keep it simple, so I'm not fidgeting with gear. I'm considering bringing the ESII and Spotmatic F with the lenses I have: 24, 50 and 135. Funny. As I look in the well of the ESII I'm thinking to myself "dang MS-76's are so expensive." Maybe I'll just shoot 1/1000 to 1/60 mechanical, and if I need slower get out the Spotmatic. Of all the cameras I've used, the ESII was always good with batteries. But I don't need (or like) automatic anymore. Spotmatic, on the other hand, doesn't do well above 1/125. ESII is fine at top speeds and I may need them. Better bring both bodies in case one acts up (ESII occasionally has a mirror lockup feature that wasn't designed by the manufacturer - every other shot the camera acts like an Exacta).

But the best reason to bring these cameras is that I can shoot candidly and quickly (versus 120/4x5). This trip is likely to have lots of movement and people doing tasks and chores. After listening to the radio last night, I want to create a mosaic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    are so expensive." Maybe I'll just shoot 1/1000 to 1/60 mechanical, and if I need slower get out the Spotmatic. Of all the cameras I've used, the ESII was always good with batteries. But I don't need (or like) automatic anymore. Spotmatic, on the other hand, doesn't do well above 1/125. ESII is fine at top speeds and I may need them. Better bring both bodies in case one acts up (ESII occasionally has a mirror lockup feature that wasn't designed by the manufacturer - every other shot the camera acts like an Exacta).
    I've shot ES (not ESII) for 40 years. And I've worked on them. Something about the design of the mirror up latch is so finicky. Very temperature-sensitive. Otherwise it's a great camera. Does a fine job.

Shooter
    35mm

s-a, I got the Panatomic-X before I got the job, but if offered a tour of the vault I would definitely ask if there was any Panatomic-X stashed away anywhere and if anybody needed it...

There's a Kodak PlaySport camera going up in the rocket.
    I was kidding, enjoy the trip!

(Whenever the internet fails at conveying emotion I remind myself that it's just a bunch of machines. Not someone with whom you could share some scotch.)

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Pan F has a very difficult time with the extremes of open lighting in the desert. You won't get much shadow differentiation. I'd assume your old
    Pan X would have the same problem. TMY400 will give better edge acutance than TMX100, but both have excellent gradation unless you
    overexpose them and blow out the highlight. Acros works nicely is you give a little extra exposure for the shadows. By Blackrock Desert, I'm
    making the assumption that some black rocks might be in the venue! I think you'll regret it if you leave your 4x5 behind. Having plane of focus
    control and the extra capacity for detail under that sharp lighting is important. The windiest conditions are in Spring anyway. Just keep everything well wrapped. Small cameras aren't immune from dust either; but you might want one along as a backup system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm afraid my motives might be questioned if I used anything but film manufactured by my employer, Kodak.
    Wow Bill, I did not know you work for Kodak, that's cool to know. I shot Kodachrome at Burning Man in 2010....a lot of preparation went into that trip to keep my gear working well, it was as gnarly as they say.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    With a little luck, the recent rains will keep the dust down... I'm bringing the 4x5 with just a few sheets of film "just in case" and the Pentax gear mentioned. ESII did the "mirror lockup" trick on me just one time in a day's shooting last weekend, so I think it will be "fine".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bill--See this link concerning the ES mirror situation. Don't be afraid to open it up. The circuit boart just plugs in like a computer sound card. You can't hurt anything. Study the affected area and see how it works. You'll undoubtedly conclude your own remedy procedure. Remember, just because you fixed it when the weather is hot doesn't necessarily mean you've fixed the problem for all times. But you can sure cut down the frequency of the problem.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...e-Lubrication/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip Tom1956, I've worked on the ESII before, having polished the ledge of the lever that holds the mirror. For the mirror to rise once on a roll during a day of real shooting, makes me feel it's "reliable enough" for my trip. Bringing the Spotmatic F for backup body just in case it gets worse but I should be fine for now...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin