Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,759   Posts: 1,516,010   Online: 912

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As much as I like Toronto, I can say this: we spent two weeks in Nova Scotia in 2011 and it was barely enough. We certainly didn't see everything.

You got good suggestions for day trips out of Halifax. I can recommend them equally. Lunenburg / Mahone Bay are gorgeous communities well worth your time. Peggy's Cove is a giant cliche and yet ... irresistible. Make sure you go - early in the day when it's quieter. A bad weather day might even be better.

Cape Breton is fabulous. Stay a few days in Baddeck and you can do a day trip to the Cabot Trail and Cape Breton National Park, and a separate day trip to Sydney where you can go to the fabulous Louisbourg historical reconstruction. (Arrive at the gates at opening ,and plan to spend the day; it's that good.)

The Bay of Fundy coast is equally beautiful and worth a visit as well.

Do Toronto and Nova Scotia as separate trips, unless you can afford three weeks or more.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am in Halifax! Off to Cape Breton tomorrow until Sunday evening, accommodation bookings pending. Gonna do the Cabot Trail.

Probably doing daytrips south next weekend and there might be the possibility of a cruise on someone's yacht.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try to book one night, at least, in Old Quebec (inside the walls). One full day and evening wandering up and down (literally) the old city will be an unforgettable experience.
    On the drive between Quebec City and Montreal, visit Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, the center of artistic wood carving, and Montmagny, the site of the world-famous accordion museum.
    Enjoy!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You will like the cabot trail.
    I would be interested to hear your thoughts about it vs the landscape in New Zealand, of course only if you have traveled in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I am in Halifax! Off to Cape Breton tomorrow until Sunday evening, accommodation bookings pending. Gonna do the Cabot Trail.

Probably doing daytrips south next weekend and there might be the possibility of a cruise on someone's yacht.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are still entertaining the drive to Montreal, drive via St. John in New Brunswick. The scenery is much more dramatic, and still get's you where you need to be.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Won't have time for Montreal, sadly. Breton this weekend, daytrips to southern NS next weekend, not sure what on the third. Maybe Sydney? Should I do the Sydney area or Prince Edward? Or more of the south or west of NS?

Then a couple of days in Vancouver area (different thread).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have been through North Sydney every summer as a child (Newfoundland Ferry) and there is not much there. However, I did live 5 years in P.E.I. and some of the scenery is quite stunning. The red sand dunes in the central north (canvendish national park) are worth the trek. Just don't get sucked into the multitudes of tourist traps.
    Last edited by mrred; 08-16-2013 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Along the way, New Glasgow is quite a nice area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, welcome to Nova Scotia. I hope you enjoy your visit. The drive to Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail is not a short one, I doubt you'll want to do most of the route over again to visit Sydney. You might want to visit the Bay of Fundy if you're into coastal regions and the world's highest tides. If you time it right a route from Halifax to Truro then Parrsboro to check out the tides. Then off to PEI before nightfall.

If your evenings are free there may be a few sites within an hour or so from Halifax worth seeing. If you are looking for Historical forts and reenactments Louisbourg is having a 300 year party http://louisbourg300.ca/ but that's another long drive to Cape Breton.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Louisbourg is a great visit but PEI is also a wonderful visit. Won't take long to drive around PEI but if you love eating, I'd take the island and hit all the suppers for lobster, blueberry pies etc..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin