Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,959   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver & BC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    September is wonderful around here - the weather often seems designed to frustrate the kids who have to return to school.

In the greater Vancouver area alone there are hundreds of opportunities for hiking - from the North Shore mountains through the Fraser Valley and all the various waterfront areas.

The ferries to the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island aren't inexpensive, but if you aren't commuting frequently they are well worth it.

You shouldn't hesitate to contact us locals ahead of time - for a meet up and some showing around.

And if you like trees and forests ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image10e-2012-03-13.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About a week back by phone I was told of "heaps and heaps" of snow at Whistler and Banff, and "kids are riding mountain bikes down the steep slopes of snow...brave or stupid...". If you like snow, Alberta still has lots of it despite the devasting floods elsewhere e.g. Calgary.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If Whistler already has snow, then I ought to be set! I think there will need to be a daytrip to that Garibaldi/Brandywine area.

Tofino is also looking very good but given the 3 hour drive from Nanaimo I guess we'll need a night or two there.

Nanaimo meetup?
    Last edited by polyglot; 06-24-2013 at 12:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't worry about spending time at Tofino,if you're not careful you could easily spend all your time there!!
    Some fine dining to be had there also.
    Peter

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tofino would defnately require an overnight stay. It is pricey, and crowded even off-season, a victim of it's success and popularity. Whistler is the same. (My opinion, I prefer to be more solitary.)
    I always prefer when I travel to avoid the spots that ALL the tourists go to and find smaller, but still fascinating locales, so I'm going to suggest other options.
    An alternate plan could be to go partway across the Island. There is a wildlife rescue centre in Errington - see eagles, bears, racoons, deer... whatever has needed care. Englishman River Park has a large, noisy waterfall that disappears into a crack, and good trails. Goats on the Roof Market in Coombs is a popular spot. The smoked salmon there is my favorite. Lots of other delicacies. A number of other funky shops, a parrot refuge, and a butterfly garden are nearby. Little Qualicum Falls Park has a number of beautiful cascades, and more trails. I think I like it even better than Englishman River. A bit further along is Cameron Lake, more of a picnic spot, but the highway driving along the shore is quite scenic. At the end of the lake is Cathedral Grove, the only spot on the mid-island with old growth trees. Trails and photo opportunities. If you keep going, over a mountain pass, you'll come to Port Alberni, which has McLean Mill, a forestry museum well worth seeing, that you get to by riding a steam train. Port Alberni is about an hour and a half from Nanaimo, if you drive fast and don't stop, but even a few of my suggested stops would make it into a day trip.
    If you want to get to the west side of the Island you could stay overnight in or near Port Alberni (Sproat Lake, say), and take the Lady Rose in the morning. It is a freighter/passenger boat that travels down the Alberni inlet to Bamfield. I've taken it a few times, and have seen bears on the shore turning over rocks looking for crabs every time. Bamfield is a tiny fishing village, perched on an inlet. You can stay a few hours and take the boat back the same day, or stay overnight and return the next day. Bamfield doesn't have the sandy beaches and surfing that Tofino does, but because the road to it is pretty bad, it is not crowded or so overpriced.
    Sorry to go on for so long, I love my home and am glad to share my experience and opinions. Hope I get to see you in September.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not that Whistler already has snow, it STILL has snow. It will be melting. Whether there will be any left in September will depend on the weather over the summer. I don't think the ski season there starts until late November or December, but I'm not a ski-er.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thankyou very much sly; I will have to go mark all this out on a map and start arguing with Management about itineraries. Definitely if something is cheaper and less-trafficked then that is appealing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are heading over to Victoria consider a short ferry ride to Port Angeles (U.S.) and drive up Hurricane Ridge. Best in clear weather for spectacular views.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Thankyou very much sly; I will have to go mark all this out on a map and start arguing with Management about itineraries. Definitely if something is cheaper and less-trafficked then that is appealing.
    If you have the $, you can ski year round at Whistler. Helicopters are involved.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    ...Two from this family are at this time on an APT Australia tour of the Rockies and Canada (one month). "Sanitised" for older folk (no walking, cushy beds and 7 days drifing up the Inside Passage) and apparently dripping with luxury and indulgence. So it should at $20,000 a pop...
    Except for the $20,000, that sounds great. What's wrong with cushy, luxury and indulgence?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin