Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,685   Online: 1170

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver & BC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Except for the $20,000, that sounds great. What's wrong with cushy, luxury and indulgence?
    Perhaps, Alan, consider that a great many people in the world do not have the money for a $1.00 bowl of rice for the day. Or money for electricity, gas or many other essentials we take for granted. There are many stark and sad contrasts. Spending $20k (I'm told it's now closer to $30,000 "with classy entertainment, food and drinks") on a junket is offensive to me actually.

Is Polyglot backpacking from one place to the other, or boltholing for a few days then moving on to the next place of interest?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The current totally-vague plan is to spend a couple of days in Vancouver-proper for the family, a daytrip to Garibaldi or Pemberton kind of area then get cheap weekly accommodation in Nanaimo and travel from there: mostly daytrips, maybe an overnight somewhere on the west coast.

Due to other issues, it's now looking slightly iffy. I'll know more for certain if/when the travel booking is actually approved which should be later this week.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aiiiiieeee! Due to some political stupidity at work, I'm not going to be able to have the holiday I thought I was.

Still doing all the Halifax stuff, but I won't have my family along and will get probably only 3 nights in Vancouver instead of 11.

So maybe one night in the mountains (Brandywine/Garibaldi/Pemberton somewhere) and two nights in Nanaimo or something. Got some prioritising to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I guess it's better than nothing, and with no family means INDEPENDENCE!! You're going to have to seriously priorities work time vs photography time in such a small timeframe. I hope you get something memorable. I would still fight tooth and nail to get 11 days there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, I will still have 3 weekends in Halifax dedicated to photography, in between work. And the 3 days in YVR will be ALL photography ALL the time. So I'm still going to get about 10 days to myself to give the RZ a really good workout and as you say, no interruptions and no feeling guilty for that one more stop. Won't get to see any of Vancouver City though, I reckon it'll be straight into the hire car and up the mountains.

Specific-question time. Is there somewhere I can stay in the mountains (Brandywine to Pemberton) wherein I could get into the car for a few minutes then walk up to a nice big mountainous lake and be there for dawn? I will be alone but with good lighting and shoes and stuff; obviously I want to minimise the distance I need to walk in the dark and the risk of falls.
    Last edited by polyglot; 06-25-2013 at 09:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do some research also about internet ability if you intend to keep in touch with family back home. My family has had to resort solely to SMS for the duration of their stay in Canada due to internet foibles; they can receive email (sometimes garbles), but no attachments; they cannot send email no matter what they do, with any of the accounts they have. Apparently a lot of people have been caught out unprepared for this. Just something to note. Canadians here on APUG could no doubt shed some light on this irritating hobble.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What, you mean the wifi in the really expensive apartment I'm staying in is not connected to the outside world?

I intend to buy a data-SIM for wandering around with. Surely you can get prepaid data SIMs in Canada?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you rely on your phone service for internet access, my understanding is that it can be complex to deal with non-Canadian phones and Canadian ISPs. Not impossible, but it may be different.

Even if it isn't complex, it will probably be more expensive than it should be.

But WiFi should work normally.

This thread is full of stuff I can't understand, and is at least three years old, but I think that it might be on point: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...martphone.html

In the past I think there may have been more problems with unusual system standards, but I believe that most of the networks now use systems that are more mainstream.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    What, you mean the wifi in the really expensive apartment I'm staying in is not connected to the outside world?

I intend to buy a data-SIM for wandering around with. Surely you can get prepaid data SIMs in Canada?

You should ask for as much information about wifi that they can give you including any configuratioin settings that need to be changed (proxies, gateways etc.); it's Canada, not Australia. The likely unusual internet standard of North America mentioned by MattKing rings a bell. This needs research.

Yes, the prepaid SIM is what they are using there and it has worked well everywhere from Vancover to Banff to Ketchikan and Juneau; it has not been so useful though at Skagway in AK; now en route back to Vancouver (home Monday night) and said three text messages were sent to me from Skagway but nothing has been received here...just the one sent approaching Vancouver. The overall costs of things the folks encountered will be of great interest to me (planning a trip in 2014), but they are big spenders on food and wine, not so crash hot on exploring like us, and photography...well, I gave them my old digi and two 16Gb cards and to date only 102 photos taken in 4 weeks from bus seats, a chopper and a light plane! Vancouver is apparently Canada's most expensive city but other travellers have said a good meal there is cheaper than Sydney. So lots of little things to be learnt. So you'll be up there in the fall (autumn)? No doubt that will be a treat for the colours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the "unusual standard" refers to the mobile phone systems. I've never heard that our internet access systems are unusual.

As for how expensive it is here, we do have the highest shelter costs in Canada, but other costs vary widely.

Film is available at a few locations, at costs higher than the big US retailers, but less than Australia.

Our alcohol and cigarette products are highly taxed, and therefore relatively expensive. Our better BC wines are quite good, but can be more expensive than a lot of the Australian wine that we import (among many others).

Groceries range from very cheap to more expensive than the US.

We have some tremendous, world class restaurants that we consider expensive, but visitors tell us are cheap in comparison to restaurants of similar stature in other parts of the world.

And we are tremendously multi-cultural. You can find cuisine from just about everywhere here. Some of it is exceptionally reasonable in price.

I just spent $8.55 plus tip for lunch today in a local pub - A dozen chicken wings, a nice side salad with ranch dressing, and a pint (1/2 litre?) of local draft beer. That is their Wednesday special, and one of the better deals around.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin