Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,869   Online: 1034

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vancouver & BC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why can't they connect to the internet with their PC?
    Hotels only provide limited help, and cannot even use wifi where provided.
    Only thing that is working is the prepaid sim, which is about to run out.

MattKing what you've mentioned is consistent with that I've been told and read. I'm surprised you find Australian wines up there: what are they? I don't drink, don't smoke — never have! The $8.55 you mentioned ... that would be about AUD$11.00 now with the dollar though it has stabilised. That's what irritates me the most; how far the Australian dollar goes up there. I don't know anybody at all who has gone to Canada, as a photographer, on a shoestring, and come through easily. Only mega-expensive tour and accommodation stuff that is nowhere near what I'd be looking at (YHA Canada for me, LOL!!).

Is Polyglot taking own film or buying there?

All very intersting stuff in this thread indeed!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Seriously guys, don't worry about me getting internet. That's not far from my dayjob and I understand all the phone protocol weirdnesses.

I'm taking a film stash with me, about 60 rolls for 10 days dedicated to shooting plus a couple weeks of evenings. I don't intend to pay +25% on customs clearance fees (especially when the official duty is 0% plus 5% GST); that sort of bullshit makes a mockery of NAFTA.

What's the standard tipping rate range these days in Canada? Any difference between NS and BC? Are they similar rules for who to tip as the USAnians do, or is it going to be all a bit confusing? Australia is a no-tip country...

That pub-lunch price is about right for Adelaide anyway, especially if you had to add 10% tip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    15% is more typical for tips here in BC.

Not surprising in a city (Vancouver) where an old bungalow needing work on a 25 foot lot is likely to sell for $800,000.00.

Here is a link for a price list for film from Beau Photo - probably the best source for film, if you ignore their awkward hours (almost no evenings and no weekends): http://www.beauphoto.com/frames/film...u_film2013.pdf

And here is an excellent photo-illustration of their film and chemistry department: http://www.beauphoto.com/frames/beaufrm.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Australia is a no-tipping country"...

Doh—!
    You'll observe tips of around 20% at Grossi Florentino in Melbourne... just one example; there are thousands of others. Tipping certainly is the norm in many establishments.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post

MattKing what you've mentioned is consistent with that I've been told and read. I'm surprised you find Australian wines up there: what are they? I don't drink, don't smoke — never have! The $8.55 you mentioned ... that would be about AUD$11.00 now with the dollar though it has stabilised.
    Australian wines? See here for the 351 versions listed in the Government Liquor Store's computer catalogue: http://www.bcliquorstores.com/produc...ntry=australia

Same price guaranteed, through any store in the province, and they will transfer stock from store to store without charge.

And for clarity, that $8.55 is a specially good deal. The market has a wide range of price points, and you can find lots of places that will be a fair bit more.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well! If my old favourite wines are available up there in BC, nothing now stopping me from joiningn the exodus up there in September!
    Tahbilk Marsanne is there. All the comforts of home in far-off Canada!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    we can get Two Hands here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't miss out what Vancouver is VERY good at besides our wine. Another reason why people are happy to live here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...vancouver.html
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 06-29-2013 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    now there's an eponysterical post if ever I did see one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    now there's an eponysterical post if ever I did see one!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin