Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,232   Online: 896

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite trip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Slow film like Portra 160 or Ektar 100 will be good but the lighting ratios might overwhelm Velvia 50. Tripod for sure with the slow film since you will not need fast shutter speeds.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket by making premature stereotypes about the lighting. Summer light in Yos Valley can often be bland
    due to haze or smoke. Right now there's so much forest fire smoke around that you might need some extra punch in the film. Higher up, hard to say from day to day. It's forest fire season. If in doubt, carry more than one kind of film and be flexible about subject matter and specific location.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Drew,

"might need some extra punch"

Any suggestions on film other than Ektar and Ilford FP4+?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think right now if you don't shoot at sunset or sunrise, black & white films serves the purpose wonderfully. I've recently visited there and you can find some photos from my flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69747566@N04/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks newtorf

I am bringing plenty of Ilford bw. Did you use any filters? I will have a yellow but wondered if you have used a polarizer with a yellow.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I didn't use any filter - I forgot to put them on. I think yellow filter would be nice to add up a bit contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not use a monopod, but use a tripod, bring some graduated ND Filters and a polarizer and a lens hood.
    If you are going to shoot black and white bring a yellow filter as well. Yosemite to me is one of the most beautiful
    places on earth and I am sure you will come back with some great images no matter what!
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ektar should be fine as long as you carry a couple of correction filters like a UV and 81A for higher altitudes as I already suggested. Haze can
    be quite beautiful with black and white film. If you study the Yosemite work of early masters like Muybridge and Watkins, you will see some
    compositional strategies for light skies and wonderful atmospheric depth. Don't expect Ansel-Adamesque crisp light in the Valley in summer -
    more likely up in the high country. But if you do want to cut thru haze, I'd pack a 25 red filter rather than a yellow or polarizer. A deep green
    filter can also be nice when you want something less heavy than a red.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'd add a shutter release cable, or use the count down timer. Also make sure to drive up to Glacier Point.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ataim View Post
    Also make sure to drive up to Glacier Point.

If you have parked up in the valley, it is only a short walk along the Four Mile trail up to Glacier Point

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin