Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,748   Online: 775

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Yosemite trip

Shooter
    35mm RF
    you have to double the distance because you need to hike back to the valley because it's difficult to find a seat on the bus down.

my recommendation is to drive up to glacier point, take the four mile trail down for about 1.6 miles to a gate, then hike back to glacier point. the best of the scenes can be seen during this hike.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    If you have parked up in the valley, it is only a short walk along the Four Mile trail up to Glacier Point

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks rince,

I have all of all the above - yes I am sure I will get good pics no matter. I am really looking forward to working with B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Ektar should be fine as long as you carry a couple of correction filters like a UV and 81A for higher altitudes as I already suggested. Haze can
    be quite beautiful with black and white film. If you study the Yosemite work of early masters like Muybridge and Watkins, you will see some
    compositional strategies for light skies and wonderful atmospheric depth. Don't expect Ansel-Adamesque crisp light in the Valley in summer -
    more likely up in the high country. But if you do want to cut thru haze, I'd pack a 25 red filter rather than a yellow or polarizer. A deep green
    filter can also be nice when you want something less heavy than a red.
    I have polarizers, yellow filters but have not used a red yet. Does the red turn the sky almost black? I'll grab both the green and red anyway.
    Thanks for the masters tip.

Also just picked up a release cable from e-bay, original in the box for the F4 - 10 bucks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My gut tells me red filter doesn't really turn the sky black... More a dark gray printed straight... But it does darken the sky enough that you can burn it to black if you want to.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You sure will. Just make sure to carry a lot of films, batteries (if you cameras need them), and take tons of photos, even for the same scene. When I was there three weeks ago, I carried three cameras (Leica, XPAN, 645). When possible, I always took multiple photos with each camera at the same location, even though I've been there for many times!

Quote Originally Posted by Rtcjr View Post
    Thanks rince,

I have all of all the above - yes I am sure I will get good pics no matter. I am really looking forward to working with B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Grad ND Filter

Since I will be bringing a 24mm, does anyone know if I will get vignetting when using a Cokin P series? Or should I get the wide angle holder?

Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    How dark the sky turns with a red filter really depends on just how blue the sky is. Unless you're really high up in clear air, don't expect a
    dramatic effect. I was referring to its use to retrieve detail thru haze, since long wavelengths are the least scattered by particulates. Yosemite
    Valley isn't all that high, and there is a fair amt of smoke around in the summer. I don't understand why anyone would even want a campfire
    down there... but it's sorta a camping custom there to help other campers sneeze all night. Up at Glacier Pt at mid-elevation the air will be
    clearer, and up around Tuolumne and Tioga clearer still, provided forest fire smoke has thinned out... you just never know this time of year.
    But a summer visit to Yosemite would be incomplete without driving up to the top.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget to give my regards to Yogi Bear and Boo Boo
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yogi bear lived in Jellystone and was apparently a miscreant doofy grizzly bear. The only thing in common he seems to have with Yosemite black
    bears is a taste for peanut butter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin