Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,220   Online: 674
      
Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415161718192363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 669
  1. #121
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,687
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Yeah I'm really losing it here. This winter has been totally relentless so far and the freezing is just too much. Maybe I'm too old, but -40? Seriously? I'm about ready to light myself on fire to keep warm.
    I'm working on a move to Portland OR to, among other things, get warmer than CO.

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Michael R, as I look at a map of Canada, you're "way down south". There's a whole lot of Canada above you. Wonder if anybody lives up there. That has got to be some kind of cold way up there. I don't even want to imagine it. It's 31F here right now and I'm shoving wood in the stove as fast as I can haul it in the house, and I'm about to freeze. More power to ya, buddy.
    Normally it is colder up north, but that's assuming the temperatures were normal in the southern regions. This ain't normal by a long shot. Once you get this kind of sick cold snap (-40 F/C) all bets are off as far as latitude being related to temperature. My guess is it isn't much colder way up north. There might even be places up there that are warmer than it is here.

    This winter is brutal, and not only in Canada. It's fierce in parts of the states too. Just overheard something on the news about wind chills of -50 somewhere in the U.S.

    Damn global warming ain't working.

  3. #123
    paul_c5x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ye Olde England
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,451
    Images
    23
    Looks like we are going to get a bunch of wind and storms over the weekend from N.America thanks to the jet stream. Thankfully, it appears to be looping well south over the Atlantic before heading north to the UK. This will bring the air temperature up so we won't be freezing our nuts off.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    I'm glad I cut off the propane company last winter. To heck with burning up that kind of money. Of course with a decision like that I made a bunch of work for myself. I would have never believed then that I could swing a 12 pound maul with as much force as I can now. POP!, and those 2 pieces of log as big as Jackie Gleason go flying apart like I lit dynamite under them. Everybody ought to spend a few winters living by the saw and ax. It's downright good for you; heals what ails you. OK people, keep warm.

  5. #125
    jovo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,085
    Images
    190
    Having moved from NY to north Fl in August after retiring, I'm celebrating a 'cold' day that topped off at 46 degrees F. What really made me happy though, was the picture my dear colleague Jessica sent me of her husband clearing the entire street where they live in Westchester County NY with the snowblower I gave her when we moved. I've even forgotten how to spell 'shuvle' hehehe....
    John Voss

    My Blog

  6. #126
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,219
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Yeah I'm really losing it here. This winter has been totally relentless so far and the freezing is just too much. Maybe I'm too old, but -40? Seriously? I'm about ready to light myself on fire to keep warm.
    "Start a man a fire and you'll keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life."



    Frozen rain coming down here right now. Lots of it.

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  7. #127
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,687
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Having moved from NY to north Fl in August after retiring, I'm celebrating a 'cold' day that topped off at 46 degrees F. What really made me happy though, was the picture my dear colleague Jessica sent me of her husband clearing the entire street where they live in Westchester County NY with the snowblower I gave her when we moved. I've even forgotten how to spell 'shuvle' hehehe....
    I'd like to persuade the wife to retire further south, say on Oahu.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  8. #128
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,687
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I'm glad I cut off the propane company last winter. To heck with burning up that kind of money. Of course with a decision like that I made a bunch of work for myself. I would have never believed then that I could swing a 12 pound maul with as much force as I can now. POP!, and those 2 pieces of log as big as Jackie Gleason go flying apart like I lit dynamite under them. Everybody ought to spend a few winters living by the saw and ax. It's downright good for you; heals what ails you. OK people, keep warm.
    Been there, done that, get it delivered pre-split now.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  9. #129
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,285
    Images
    60
    It was cold enough this afternoon at the south-west corner of Canada that I decided to do up my jacket.

    The high temperature at the airport today was 7 Celsius (45 F).

    Toronto, Ontario, Canada is considerably south of us here (about the same latitude as southern Oregon). This morning it was -23 Celsius (-9 F) there.

    It got up to -30 Celsius this morning in Yellowknife.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  10. #130
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,629
    We almost always go through a dry spell at the turn of the year- this year is typical, and it's been mild. High of 78F here today, 65 at 8pm, forecast low of 50 tonight.
    Even in the nearby mountains it's mild. At Big Bear Lake @ 7300 ft. it will just touch 32F. Not good at all for the ski operations, though.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin