Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,650   Posts: 1,623,555   Online: 850

Page 19 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9131415161718192021222324252969 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I bet your coats have that newfangled down stuff in them too!
    Actually the coat to which I referred is an L.L. Bean, about 40 years old. Heavy wool with a flannel lining, even on a day like today I open one or two buttons if I'm walking.
    Edit - minus 2f now, still windy.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 01-07-2014 at 03:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    No, I don't own any down coats. I do have two made with Polartech. An old Lands End and a new North Face (Hey, it was on clearance at Sports Authority!). Polartech is the warmest man-made fiber, is lightweight and not bulky like down.

I had a down coat years ago. It was warm but when I wore it I felt like the Michelin man.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks kind of rather cold in the USA. In Australia (sunny and warm...) we are seeing a lot of media coverage about this 'polar vortex' that has engulfed, among other places across the US, Lake Michigan in Chicago, shown with long, long icicles and an ice vapour creeping over the surface — splendid photographic matter, so where are the records of the many who call the US home? Or is it too cold to play outside?? Or people skiing to work in Detroit (!). And Chicago.... is minus 26 celsius ... colder than the South Pole? Quelle horreur...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We're too busy moving snow around. On the news this morning they posted a Tweet from someone in Alaska. "Please send our weather back." Out of curiosity I checked the current temp in Barrow. It was a balmy -9F compared to Ann Arbor 's -13F.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Woke up to -16f this morning, wind chill of -48. The hig today was -4f, wind chill of -35. It's supposed to get into the mid teens to around +20f tomorrow.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Looks kind of rather cold in the USA. In Australia (sunny and warm...) we are seeing a lot of media coverage about this 'polar vortex' that has engulfed, among other places across the US, Lake Michigan in Chicago, shown with long, long icicles and an ice vapour creeping over the surface — splendid photographic matter, so where are the records of the many who call the US home? Or is it too cold to play outside?? Or people skiing to work in Detroit (!). And Chicago.... is minus 26 celsius ... colder than the South Pole? Quelle horreur...
    Ah, yes the "polar vortex". It's been all the rage in the media here. It's grant time for the global warming crowd. The polar vortex is where your money is sucked out of your pocket and swirls around to the "researchers".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Ah, yes the "polar vortex". It's been all the rage in the media here. It's grant time for the global warming crowd. The polar vortex is where your money is sucked out of your pocket and swirls around to the "researchers".
    The "polar vortex" sounds like a diabolical phenomenon invented by some James Bond villain...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The "polar vortex" sounds like a diabolical phenomenon invented by some James Bond villain...
    One demanding 1 million dollars? lol.

Things have been fine here. Was -13 F in my city at one point, but my employer let us go early Monday and canceled work today, so I just lounged around at home. Sure, it's cold, but not bad enough for people to freak like they do. Of course, now we're looking at temps hitting 40 F this weekend - but hey, this is Northeastern Ohio, not unusual for us.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Looks kind of rather cold in the USA.
    Not here in inland SoCal. Temps F in the upper 70's, low 80's, and even the higher elevations have been balmy for this time of year (people in L.A. are balmy year round ) Even up at the ski resorts it's been too warm to make snow, with temps above or just at freezing. Lots of beautiful sunshine and clear skies for the past several weeks. The rosebushes are loaded with blooms and of course the citrus trees are loaded with fruit. Tangerines and oranges right off the tree... A bit of a change happening, though. Today was mostly high overcast and in the low 70's.

In Australia (sunny and warm...) we are seeing a lot of media coverage about this 'polar vortex' that has engulfed, among other places across the US, Lake Michigan in Chicago,
    Even we are saying, "Poor Buggers!"

people skiing to work in Detroit (!).
    Well, the few in that wretched place that have jobs...

And Chicago.... is minus 26 celsius ... colder than the South Pole? Quelle horreur...
    I'll bet the penguins in the zoo are digging it, though...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Global warming crowd? The only ones disagreeing about it are those who lose money on it, those paid to disagree, and those who can't open their eyes.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin