Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,376   Online: 970

Page 20 of 79 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122232425263070 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Looks kind of rather cold in the USA. In Australia (sunny and warm...) we are seeing a lot of media coverage about this 'polar vortex' that has engulfed, among other places across the US, Lake Michigan in Chicago, shown with long, long icicles and an ice vapour creeping over the surface — splendid photographic matter, so where are the records of the many who call the US home? Or is it too cold to play outside?? Or people skiing to work in Detroit (!). And Chicago.... is minus 26 celsius ... colder than the South Pole? Quelle horreur...
    Ah, yes the "polar vortex". It's been all the rage in the media here. It's grant time for the global warming crowd. The polar vortex is where your money is sucked out of your pocket and swirls around to the "researchers".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Ah, yes the "polar vortex". It's been all the rage in the media here. It's grant time for the global warming crowd. The polar vortex is where your money is sucked out of your pocket and swirls around to the "researchers".
    The "polar vortex" sounds like a diabolical phenomenon invented by some James Bond villain...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The "polar vortex" sounds like a diabolical phenomenon invented by some James Bond villain...
    One demanding 1 million dollars? lol.

Things have been fine here. Was -13 F in my city at one point, but my employer let us go early Monday and canceled work today, so I just lounged around at home. Sure, it's cold, but not bad enough for people to freak like they do. Of course, now we're looking at temps hitting 40 F this weekend - but hey, this is Northeastern Ohio, not unusual for us.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Looks kind of rather cold in the USA.
    Not here in inland SoCal. Temps F in the upper 70's, low 80's, and even the higher elevations have been balmy for this time of year (people in L.A. are balmy year round ) Even up at the ski resorts it's been too warm to make snow, with temps above or just at freezing. Lots of beautiful sunshine and clear skies for the past several weeks. The rosebushes are loaded with blooms and of course the citrus trees are loaded with fruit. Tangerines and oranges right off the tree... A bit of a change happening, though. Today was mostly high overcast and in the low 70's.

In Australia (sunny and warm...) we are seeing a lot of media coverage about this 'polar vortex' that has engulfed, among other places across the US, Lake Michigan in Chicago,
    Even we are saying, "Poor Buggers!"

people skiing to work in Detroit (!).
    Well, the few in that wretched place that have jobs...

And Chicago.... is minus 26 celsius ... colder than the South Pole? Quelle horreur...
    I'll bet the penguins in the zoo are digging it, though...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Global warming crowd? The only ones disagreeing about it are those who lose money on it, those paid to disagree, and those who can't open their eyes.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A relatively balmy (windless) +6f this morning!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Global warming crowd? The only ones disagreeing about it are those who lose money on it, those paid to disagree, and those who can't open their eyes.
    Denying global warming is like denying gravity.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    More freaking rain this afternoon!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The last two nights have been very cold for Florida. The temperature dipping into the low thirties in central Florida with a strong wind. Three dog nights but alas I have only two dogs.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The last two nights have been very cold for Florida. The temperature dipping into the low thirties in central Florida with a strong wind. Three dog nights but alas I have only two dogs.
    Oh no, what are you going to do? There's imbalance in the universe!

Been cold as heck around here in Minnesota the last three days. Coldest was yesterday at about -22*F, which is great because the Emerald Ash Borer, the bug that's been killing all of our ash trees, might be decimated by as much as 80% due to the freeze. Today was nicer at around 0*F when I woke up, and warming up to a high of about 9*F today. Tomorrow almost 20*F they say, and finally on Friday about 30*F, which will provide a nice respite for those who have been stuck in the cold for a long time.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin