Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 886

Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223242526272832 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=ME Super;1593951a 53 degree (Fahrenheit) temperature swing in 7 days![/QUOTE]
    Yes, Alaska too. 7 hours even sometimes, certainly in a day or so it can go from -30 to +20 once or twice in an average winter.

I've heard the old 'if you don't like the weather here, just wait 5 mins. and it'll change' all over the world, in several languages.

Isn't there some place on earth with the world's least-changing weather? That'd be terrible for photography! One regret is interior AK doesn't get much violent weather, unlike the great storms I experienced in Michigan, central Russia, and Missouri... The palouse was weather-lame, too.

Robert J. Liebermann
    photos: http://rjl.us/photo
    Eureka Alaska/Vermillion Michigan USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Liebermann View Post
    Yes, Alaska too. In fact, I've heard the old 'if you don't like the weather here, just wait 5 mins. and it'll change' all over the world, in several languages. Isn't there some place on earth with the world's least-changing weather? That'd be terrible for photography!
    I think in the US, the least changing weather is Hawai'i.

I'm pretty sure we had some drastic changes in a day in Massachusetts, too, but I can't find evidence (google seems to return many results that are missing the parameters you type in these days).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Liebermann View Post
    Yes, Alaska too. 7 hours even sometimes, certainly in a day or so it can go from -30 to +20 once or twice in an average winter.

I've heard the old 'if you don't like the weather here, just wait 5 mins. and it'll change' all over the world, in several languages.

Isn't there some place on earth with the world's least-changing weather? That'd be terrible for photography! One regret is interior AK doesn't get much violent weather, unlike the great storms I experienced in Michigan, central Russia, and Missouri... The palouse was weather-lame, too.
    I take my hat off to you sir, I can't even imagine -30.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Cue Martha and the Vandellas singing "Heat Wave".

Above 0F today; first time in a while. Didn't bother to zip the coat. Supposed to reach 30deg in a few days - it will spoil us.
    it ended up hitting 20F today, I was so happy to see the proverbial mercury rise that high.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Fire Weather Watch has been announced by the NWS, starting Sunday. A Santa Ana condition is forming, so we will have dry, warmer-than-average weather, and a likelihood of strong winds. This has been a very dry fall/winter so far, and there's been only a bit of light frost. It's pleasant, but some storms would be most welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_winds

The Raymond Chandler quote about "Meek little wives..." is very well known around here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_A...opular_culture

Myself, I like the Santa Ana winds. They stir things up, knock down the dead palm fronds and tree branches, and make the air crystal clear. Well, clear except if the ground's dry, as it is now, which means lots of dust. And if the fires start, then there's all the smoke. But other times it makes it crystal clear...
    I like the winds anyway. Most people just tell me, "Yeah, but you're weird." Which is pretty much their stock answer for just about anything I say, so...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    My parents have some photos of us (taken on Kodachrome 64) when we were kids, growing up in Central Illinois. One photo was taken Christmas day. It was 70 degrees out and my sister had picked a dandelion and was holding it for the picture, while I was holding a sign with the date and temperature on it. A week later it was below zero with about a 40 below windchill, and my parents got a picture of us again, same spot, me holding a sign with the date, temperature, and windchill.

Today it got up to 40*F. By Sunday supposed to be 47*F. All this after having -11 actual temperatures for a low on Monday.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now that's changeable!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wonderful weather today, windy white out conditions with wind chills around 0 to -10F, positively stunning Winter photo weather with amazing light.

I just *love* real Winters!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    global warming is suposed to hit us this week.... today predicted to be 35 (but I don't think it has or will manage that) then supposed to be 41 (105.8F), 39, 41, 40.. then 26 :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's weather and there's climate. I am not a denialist but let's not get into climate discussions here, they tend to be rather poisonous.

We're on day 2 of a 5-day heatwave of 40-43C (104-110F) temperatures. That'd be a 9-day stretch of 38C+ (100F+); yay for South Australia.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin