Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,918   Online: 977

Page 29 of 65 FirstFirst ... 192324252627282930313233343539 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pleut pleut pleut and a bit more pleut

Shooter
    35mm
    close to zero degrees F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bad. Drifting snow, very very cold, windy. On the way to work yesterday, I saw about a dozen suv & 4WD in ditches, a couple up side down, guess they thought that AWD/4WD made them immune from slowing down on ice.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Bad. Drifting snow, very very cold, windy. On the way to work yesterday, I saw about a dozen suv & 4WD in ditches, a couple up side down, guess they thought that AWD/4WD made them immune from slowing down on ice.
    LOL - Out here they drive too slow, I keep passing those vehicles on the freeway... and I have RWD. They seem to be afraid to drive in the snow and typically go about 35 (on the freeway) in these conditions. I have to wonder what about them led to the purchase of 4WD/AWD if they are afraid of a little snow... but I think I know what it is.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    LOL - Out here they drive too slow, I keep passing those vehicles on the freeway... and I have RWD. They seem to be afraid to drive in the snow and typically go about 35 (on the freeway) in these conditions. I have to wonder what about them led to the purchase of 4WD/AWD if they are afraid of a little snow... but I think I know what it is.
    What is it?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, in my (very subjective) opinion, part of it is the popularity/status symbol of the SUV - and not status as in money. I feel another part is that station wagons are now rare, and some people with kids (or certain jobs) need something larger than the modern standard-sized car. There are 4WD/AWD cars, but considering the extra hardware and space issues, it is more common in larger vehicles.

I am NOT saying this applies to everybody, but I think it accounts for a large number. I believe, however, that there certainly are good reasons to purchase an SUV with AWD/4WD.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Having driven in many a Michigan winter, the key is not how fast you can drive, but how quickly you can stop. That alone governs your speed. So, maybe "they" are doing it right.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Having driven in many a Michigan winter, the key is not how fast you can drive, but how quickly you can stop. That alone governs your speed. So, maybe "they" are doing it right.
    Stopping is over-rated - it wears brakes quicker, and those pads cost money
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Another pickup load of red oak brought up out of the woods today. Dead trees already fallen, but not all the way to the ground--that's what you want, the good stuff with barnacles starting to grow on the bark. That means it's well seasoned, about 5-10% rotted, and will split with an ax like candy. I like that. Gonna have the house 86 degrees in here tonight and watch The Fugitive, sipping ice tea. That's the life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin