Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,274   Online: 844

Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 293334353637383940414243444549 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I got home I tried to blast in the drive (with a running start) but got stuck; and it's a full-sized car. At least I was out of the street. Got out the snow blower, and then pulled the rest of the way in.
    I did that once in a Ford Probe GT - it was so cool seeing the snow flying over the hood. Yeah, got stuck, but I got more than two car lengths into the driveway in about 20" of light powdery stuff. There was room for my then husband to drive in (he had 4WD, too) after me and then get out the snowblower.

Here, this afternoon I needed to get to the store. We didn't get much snow, just a lot of drifting. The roads were fine, but it took me over half an hour to get through my driveway. Ken had made a path when he left this morning, but it had drifted the worst in the driveway (could see grass in the yard). I almost made it through the worst patch (about two car lengths long), but couldn't cut to the right where I'd planned because I have no power steering in the Escape right now. So the FWD 4 cyl got stuck - mostly on the stuff it packed down under the center of the car. Took some shoveling and rocking, but it got through. And Nate fell asleep in the car while I was unsticking it, so I had to keep going. Then, after I got home, our neighbor had left a note on our door while we were out asking if we wanted him to plow it. My timing stinks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    No, it's the EU and US that are on the wrong side.
    Exactly!

Meanwhile, if you want a great touristy movie to encourage you to visit, I'd suggest finding the movie Snowtown. Then realise it's a true story. Then realise that I work with the son of the Detective in charge of the operation, who's said that the movie just scratches the surface of what actually happened...
    That one still sends a shiver down my spine - a very frightening movie and a very very disturbing set of circumstances.

There is another movie masterpiece they could watch, which was made in our fine city - Bad Boy Bubby. Such a classic!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post

I managed to blast out of the driveway, and on the freeway hit 50mph until I caught up with the people who were to afraid to be on the road. Took two hours to make a 24 minute drive... because of the idiots on the road.
    At the risk of sounding preachy, if your weather was anything like ours yesterday, it's not how fast you can go, but how fast your can stop. Perhaps those idiots knew something.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    At the risk of sounding preachy, if your weather was anything like ours yesterday, it's not how fast you can go, but how fast your can stop. Perhaps those idiots knew something.
    Well, I was born and raised here, driven in worse winter snows, and haven't wrecked yet. Never had a problem stopping either.

The question of stopping is assured clear distance, not crawling at slower speeds than on city streets. Yes, I exited at the same place some of these people did, on city streets in worse shape, yet they went faster there.
    Truzi

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    We have rain
    The photo is real rain in Clovis CA and Fresno CA

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We got 36" in a 48 hour period last week, seems like another 12-24" could be on tap before Saturday, bring it on!

These cars are hibernating....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Dave - I've seen significant areas of Fresno under water from flooding, more than once. It will happen again. Not far outside of Clovis there
    are places underlain with vast deposits of fossil megafauna bones from sudden flashfloods hitting the flood plains, probably from ice dams way
    up the San Joaquin canyon bursting during the Pleistocene. The museum between Chowchilla and Madera has a nice exhibition of some of these
    critters. I sure wouldn't want to tease a shortfaced bear or kick a Harlan's ground sloth in the butt - bigger than a backhoe, with a walnut sized
    brain, and claws about a foot long! Reminds me of a few people back in High School.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post

These cars are hibernating....
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Flooding in the UK

Today I went out on my bicycle to buy a newspaper and on route I encountered a flood. I have cycled this route many times before and at this point on the road there is often a large puddle. However, although I could see where the road surfaced, as I got further into it I realised it was getting deeper. The water came up to pedal height and I as I had committed myself, to stop would make me even wetter. I think I will give that journey a miss for the next few days until it stops raining.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Today I went out on my bicycle to buy a newspaper and on route I encountered a flood. I have cycled this route many times before and at this point on the road there is often a large puddle. However, although I could see where the road surfaced, as I got further into it I realised it was getting deeper. The water came up to pedal height and I as I had committed myself, to stop would make me even wetter. I think I will give that journey a miss for the next few days until it stops raining.
    Send the excess to California!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin