Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,051   Online: 1103

Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 353940414243444546474849505155 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I have always thought the weather on our planet is very dependent on sun spot activity. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
    I would not say 'dependent' -- just one on the many factors.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just outside of NYC (about 20 miles north of Times Square), it's snowing again. We now have about two solid (frozen) feet of snow laying around; streets are very narrow and intersections are blind. Supposed to warm up after this so that it all can slide off the roofs and we can flood.

As they used to say upstate, "another ten inches of flurries..".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I have always thought the weather on our planet is very dependent on sun spot activity. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
    Yes. But I'll save myself some typing, this guy says it far better anyway: http://news.psu.edu/story/141165/200...manac-accurate

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes. But I'll save myself some typing, this guy says it far better anyway: http://news.psu.edu/story/141165/200...manac-accurate
    The Farmers' Almanac's Web site explains that its forecaster (referred to only by his pseudonym, Caleb Weatherbee) uses a "top secret mathematical and astronomical formula, that relies on sunspot activity, tidal action, planetary position and many other factors" to predict weather sixteen months in advance for seven different U.S. climate zones.

Sounds interesting and I use a similar formula to decide when to work in my darkroom.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Can you believe this?--a week ago we had a foot and a half of snow, and now it's 75 degrees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Can you believe this?--a week ago we had a foot and a half of snow, and now it's 75 degrees.
    I'd believe it given what we've had: 3 weeks above 40C, then 4months rainfall in 2 days, now a week of drizzling low 20s.
    If our weather's stuffed then so can yours...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a nice sunny winter day and fairly mild here and although we have had a very wet winter so far and there has been terrible and massive flooding in some parts of the U.K. mainly in the south of the country.We have had no snow yet and I'm keeping my fingers crossed because if we don't have any in the next six weeks or so we've got away with it and it's the spring
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's actually raining! Just started.
    It took me a bit to remember what that sound was...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it's been very mild in the Norther U.K for the last few days with a decent amount of sunshine almost like Spring,although it's been the wettest Winter in Britain on record and there have been massive floods in some areas, but very little snow so far.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    right now 5 degrees F in Chicago, winds 15-20 mph. will be below zero tonight. roughly 30 degrees below normal.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin