Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,093   Posts: 1,635,993   Online: 1211

Page 49 of 95 FirstFirst ... 394344454647484950515253545559 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Did the auto need a sump oil heater or hot bolt in the crank case overnight?
    Not sure who you're asking, so I'll answer for my area.

In Ohio, we don't really need oil heaters; we didn't even before the present light-weight oils. For non-commercial vehicles (cars, trucks, vans), it's not necessary, though it won't hurt. I do not know about construction equipment or other heavy-duty vehicles.

On rare occasion I'll run into someone who does use an oil heater, but again, they don't really have the need. Usually it's just something they feel compelled to have for whatever reason.

Once in a while it will get cold enough that the tires "freeze." They will hold their shape (the flattened area in contact with the ground), and "thump" a short while as you drive and they "warm." This happens probably once or twice a decade in my area. On the other hand, people here seem to have difficulty remembering more than one year back; it's always the end of the world.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    HiTruzi

Thanks, a work collegue from Wyoming said they needed an electric sump heater all night and running the engine at lunch time.

Elevation and proximity to Rockies I assume.

We get warm rain in inches by the day here all through Dec till now, last Sunday was 70F, could be summer record.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only place I've been in the US where it was common to see cords hanging out of the front (for an engine block heater) was Anchorage, AK. And not all cars had them.
    As much fuss as the media made about the weather this winter, I know we had more snow when I was a kid (there are photos of snow above the doors and we made forts big enough for adults).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree re: media hype. Yes, our winter here has been more brutal than average, but it only ranks as number eight in terms of temps . Snowfall, well, we are awaiting another beaut tonight. It should put us over the top as record winter snowfalls go. I'm done with winter this year.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I remember more snow when I was a child, and we have movies and pictures to show it really was more and not just us being smaller. It seems the snow lasted longer as well. The past decade or so, when we have a big snow, it melts in a few days. When I was a kid it persisted for weeks or months. This winter's storm was more like I remember.

I had a friend who moved to Atalanta, Georgia, right after graduating from high school. He told us they are not used to snow down there, so everything shuts down for 1/4" of snow. We laughed until he told us it all melts by noon so they have to go to work anyway.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that the media make a big deal about records, and people don't think. They will mention breaking a record on a given day - lets arbitrarily say February 14. No one seems to realize that record is for that date, and not the entire month or even entire season. They lock only onto the number even when the news puts it in context.

This year is what I call a "good" winter - like it is supposed to be. Speaking of which, another storm is coming in tonight - a mild one. Still, there are people flooding the stores to stock up on canned and dry goods because the world is about to end. Bobwysiwyg, give us an heads up, it'll hit you first
    Truzi

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lots of butterflies coming out of hibernation here
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    March 17th, Saint Patrick's Day, Northwest Ireland.

According to Met Éireann : "Cool and cloudy today with some bright spells at times. Mostly dry with patchy mist or drizzle, especially in the west and north. Later this afternoon drizzle will become more widespread but a lot of areas will stay dry. Top temperatures of 9 to 12 degrees"

A typical St Patrick's day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    .....was in the 90's yesterday in So Cal, suppose to be much cooler today, in the 70's......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    .....was in the 90's yesterday in So Cal, suppose to be much cooler today, in the 70's......
    I was born in Hollywood right off Route 66. I grew up in Norwalk. I lived in Anaheim while working at Disneyland and attending USC. I know the Santa Ana Devil Winds. I know how it feels to open your front door at 7:00am and be hit in the face with a blast of 90F+ heat and 70%+ humidity. I remember playing pickup basketball in near-100F heat. Outdoors. In March.

Then I moved to Washington state...

It's March. It's not near-100F. It's near-34F. My front yard is dusted in snow. If it were dry ice, I'd think I was living on Mars. Like clockwork, our first decent weather day here won't arrive until July 5th.

Only 110 more days to go.

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bright and sunny here today, although a touch windy. The temperature is 7C.

Fairly typical March weather for the south west corner of Canada
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin