Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,406   Online: 1046

Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 404445464748495051525354555660 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    Had to be an attention grabber. We've got folks in Eureka.....so, I'm sure they got woke up too.

Suppose to be in the 80's today in So Cal......UGH.....is it the start of summer already?
    Nah--it ain't summer till it hits at least 90!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Nah--it ain't summer till it hits at least 90!
    And the ocean water hits 70F! (never gets much past 55F here in NorCal).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was back in Los Angeles for three days and I had to put up with day time temperatures in the 70s and 80s.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    Dorset coast , England [next door to Somerset]
    Yep, as I thought. Seattle native...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I have the checked shirt and the ripped jeans to go with the Nirvana t shirt....
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

How do you dress

You guys who live in extreme weather conditions on this planet, how do you dress for it? Or how do you cope. A friend in Australia told me that when it was 44° C in the shade and difficult to breathe, she put damp towels in the freezer and then they could lay on them and that seemed to help. Also, do you guys in Miami all dress like Don Johnson?
    Last edited by cliveh; 03-11-2014 at 03:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @cliveh - For cold extremes - layers. This year, I rediscovered my Duofold brand long undies. And flannel-lined jeans. But it isn't really extreme here, there are colder spots.

It must be getting closer to spring, though. For the last couple of days, I've seen geese flying generally north in HUGE groups. Like massively huge. In the northeast, I usually saw a V formation or two at most. Here, it's 15+ Vs with 20-30 geese each all layered together and more than one visible in the sky at once.
    And the construction cones have started springing up - sure sign winter is coming to an end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This winter I actually dug out my winter coat. I even wore a long-sleeved shirt a couple times (but that is because the building at work isn't managed well for climate control).

I'm not outside much, just from the house to the car, and into a building. I live near Cleveland, Ohio, and normally I wear a medium weight leather jacket through the winter. I am fine if I'm not outside more than an hour. It was a bit cold this winter, though. We get these every four or five years.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Did the auto need a sump oil heater or hot bolt in the crank case overnight?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Did the auto need a sump oil heater or hot bolt in the crank case overnight?
    Not sure who you're asking, so I'll answer for my area.

In Ohio, we don't really need oil heaters; we didn't even before the present light-weight oils. For non-commercial vehicles (cars, trucks, vans), it's not necessary, though it won't hurt. I do not know about construction equipment or other heavy-duty vehicles.

On rare occasion I'll run into someone who does use an oil heater, but again, they don't really have the need. Usually it's just something they feel compelled to have for whatever reason.

Once in a while it will get cold enough that the tires "freeze." They will hold their shape (the flattened area in contact with the ground), and "thump" a short while as you drive and they "warm." This happens probably once or twice a decade in my area. On the other hand, people here seem to have difficulty remembering more than one year back; it's always the end of the world.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin