Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,866   Online: 835

Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5454950515253545556575859606165 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I read that a flurry of moderate earth quakes have been recorded in the Los Angeles area recently, a reminder of the notorious San Andreas fault. Has anyone been effected by these?
    They've been on a different fault, but as you say, a reminder. Where I am, about 50 miles away, I felt the first one. It was a sharp jolt, then some shaking with a rolling sensation, 8 or 10 seconds total.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read that a flurry of moderate earth quakes have been recorded in the Los Angeles area recently, a reminder of the notorious San Andreas fault. Has anyone been effected by these?
    I've been through MANY quakes in So Cal and Alaska through the years. The one in El Centro a few years back on Thanksgiving Day and now this recent one along the Puenta Hills fault line definitely got my attention. It is my understanding that the San Andreas is a slip fault, meaning two sides moving in opposite directions. Where as the PH Fault line is a thrust fault, meaning two sides going up or down. Where I live I'm stuck right between the two. I'll just say the thrust fault ones seem a bit more violent. Sure glad I missed the 9.2 in Alaska by about 2 years of living up there after that one hit.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    It is my understanding that the San Andreas is a slip fault, meaning two sides moving in opposite directions. Where as the PH Fault line is a thrust fault, meaning two sides going up or down. Where I live I'm stuck right between the two. I'll just say the thrust fault ones seem a bit more violent.
    The San Andreas Fault is classified as a right-lateral (or dextral, left-lateral would be sinistral) strike-slip transform fault. Practically speaking, that means that which ever side you are standing on, the other side moves to your right. And lateral because the displacement is (mostly) horizontal.

In simple terms, the fault is moving Los Angeles northward relative to Barstow along a trend line through Palmdale. The fault is the connecting geologic structure between a spreading center further to the south in the Gulf of California, and a subduction zone further to the north off the Oregon and Washington coasts.

Plate boundary thrust faults generally exhibit less frequent, but higher energy, earthquakes. Strike-slip faults generally exhibit more frequent, but lower energy earthquakes. An aggravating factor, however, is that the strike-slip quake hypocenters (the point below the surface of the first rupture) are often shallower in depth, so that even though less energy overall is released, ground motion is more severe.

One of the worst earthquakes I've ever experienced was actually a very, very minor one here in Washington state. Hardly even made the news. But on a straight line down through the earth I was sitting in my house only about 8 miles away from the actual rupture point.

Geez, Louise. I thought the entire house had been ripped from its foundation and flipped over. It felt like it had been struck with a giant sledge hammer. It scared the crap out of me. And I grew up in Southern California.

That's also why I sat up and took notice when I saw that the USGS had a preliminary estimate for the hypocenter of the recent quake in Whittier at only 0.6 miles. Yikes. Hope that was a misprint. That'll wake your ass up real quick...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-01-2014 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you guys finding fault with Southern California?

Did you say that it is all that it is cracked up to be?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I lived there, I didn't have to find 'em. They found me. Often...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That'll wake your ass up real quick...
    TOTALLY agree with this statement, Ken. Between California and my days in Alaska I've been bounced out of bed numerous times. During the Sylmar quake I was in the shower and I broke the glass door.
    Last edited by Trail Images; 04-01-2014 at 07:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    TOTALLY agree with this statement, Ken. Between California and my days in Alaska I've been bounced out bed numerous times. During the Sylmar quake I was in the shower and I broke the glass door.
    During the Sylmar quake I got thrown out of bed and the bookshelves above me emptied on my head. The guy across the street had the water in his pool suddenly in his kitchen. But both of us were far luckier than those (was it 64 or 68?) staff and patients in the collapsed hospital wing. And the mashed cars under the failed freeway overpasses.

Remember this?

If that's not one of the scariest photographs ever, I don't know what is. Especially when only 12 seconds earlier everything had been just fine...

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How bad a saint do you have to be to have an earthquake fault named after you?
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-01-2014 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    During the Sylmar quake I got thrown out of bed and the bookshelves above me emptied on my head.
    I slept right through it and didn't know anything until I was at school and saw that some of the parquet flooring in the gymnasium had been popped up. I then was told about it by someone who could not believe that I had slept through it.

I was living in Santa Cruz when the Loma Prieta quake of '89 hit. That was some serious shakin'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    How bad a saint do have to be to have an earthquake fault named after you?
    Santa Anna was a woman.
    San Francisco was a man.

So does that mean that Santa Claus is a cross dresser? 'splain it to me.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin