Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,902   Online: 1146

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6465051525354555657585960616266 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    YIKES......Ring Of Fire.......another quake in Chile just now at 8.0...........
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    8.0 is awfully strong!!!

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Santa Anna was a woman.
    San Francisco was a man.

So does that mean that Santa Claus is a cross dresser? 'splain it to me.
    No, he dresses Christmas trees.

As for Santa Anna, it depends on which one. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was not a woman.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    YIKES......Ring Of Fire.......another quake in Chile just now at 8.0...........
    [Warning: Longish non-photographic post only for those who may be interested in a lesser known, but fascinating, way that anyone can actually predict significantly higher risk periods for major earthquakes anywhere in the world.]

There is also a strong correlation between the phases of the moon and strong earthquakes. And a cool urban legend story to go along with it.

As the legend goes, during that same Sylmar earthquake there was a McDonnell Douglas aeronautical engineer living in the San Fernando Valley near the epicenter. Like most everyone else that morning, he also got tossed out of bed at 6:00am.

As he was picking himself up off the floor he supposedly glanced out his bedroom window and noticed that the moon was full. Being a good engineer this observation stuck in his mind. After a few days of mentally chewing on it, he called up a friend who was a geologist and asked if there might be any correlation.

Now it's a well known geologic fact that the earth itself is not perfectly solid, but rather quite elastic. In fact, the planet also experiences tides, just like the oceans. Except that the tidal deformation is only on the order of a couple of centimeters maximum.

So the geologist decided to plot the worldwide frequency of major seismic events (6.0+ on the Richter scale) against the lunar cycles. The plots matched almost perfectly. As well, a significant majority of those events had occurred within plus or minus two hours of dawn or dusk local time.

What was happening was that (picture this mentally) with the sun and moon on opposite sides of the earth, or both on the same side, the planet itself would be stretched oblong by slightly stronger parallel gravitational attraction. That stretching, or pulling apart, would be maximized at the point where the earth's rotation placed any fault lines in opposition at either the top or the bottom of the planet, if the sun and moon were horizontally oriented on either side. And that particular geometric orientation always occurs at sunrise or sunset. Or within plus or minus two hours of it.

That orientation, and the gravitational anomaly associated with it, is apparently just enough to reduce the static friction preventing rupture in those faults that are already near the breaking point. When those faults are already at their threshold, all it takes is a new or full moon orientation at near sunrise or sunset to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

In both of the following cases the earthquakes occurred within one day of either a new or full moon, and within two hours of sunrise or sunset.

The Sylmar earthquake occurred on February 9, 1971 at 6:00:41 AM in the morning. Sunrise was at 6:44 AM. Here's a chart of the phases of the moon for February, 1971. The full moon was on February 10th, one day later:

The recent near-Los Angeles (main) seismic event occurred on March 29, 2014 at 9:09:42 PM in the evening. Sunset was at 7:12 PM. Here's a chart of the phases of the moon for March, 2014. The new moon was on March 30th, one day later:

So just by keeping an eye on the monthly phases of the moon, it's possible to predict (and live in fear of) periods of significantly higher risk for major earthquakes. My wife has heard me ask so often for years now "Was it a full moon?" every time there's an earthquake that she now just automatically includes that info when she reads about one and tells me.

And that brand new major 8.2 earthquake today off the coast of Chile? Well, today is only 2 days after the new moon, and it happened at 8:46:46 PM local time, when sunset was at 7:38 PM.

There you go...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-01-2014 at 10:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also a strong correlation between the phases of the moon and strong earthquakes. And a cool urban legend story to go along with it.
    I'd have to say there are probably a lot of additional ideas and theories on what might add to the events, Ken. This information seems as plausible as I've seen or heard.

Years ago in college I jokingly made a diagram on a black board of what my thoughts on causes of quakes using the state of California as the primary target point if you will. My thought was based more on geological with oil drilling, ground water consumption, overall weight of buildings, population, freeways, along the fault lines. As well as a variety of other factors including atomic bomb tests below ground level in Nevada, etc. etc. Of course today you could factor in fracking too. It was all done in jest back then, but one has to wonder if there are possible contributing factors........
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As mainly an east-coaster, I don't know which plates are next to what are where fault lines are. But I saw a report that the mudslide in Oso was likely the result of a tremor a couple of weeks before. Is that along any of the same ones shaking now? And are these quakes just being mentioned because of the number or is this a cluster that's larger than usual?

Shooter
    Large Format
    They're just earthquakes. No man-made causes, no celestial causes, no punishment by God. They're just earthquakes, caused by the makeup of Earth and it's various plates, and gravity. There is a certain amount of outward centrifugal force cause by rotation, although I have no idea how much. It's just the world we live on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    They're just earthquakes. No man-made causes, no celestial causes, no punishment by God. They're just earthquakes, caused by the makeup of Earth and it's various plates, and gravity. There is a certain amount of outward centrifugal force cause by rotation, although I have no idea how much. It's just the world we live on.
    There is no such thing as centrifugal force - just centripetal acceleration.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    As mainly an east-coaster, I don't know which plates are next to what are where fault lines are. But I saw a report that the mudslide in Oso was likely the result of a tremor a couple of weeks before. Is that along any of the same ones shaking now?
    Nope.

And are these quakes just being mentioned because of the number or is this a cluster that's larger than usual?
    It's because of the intensity, primarily. There are small quakes all the time, most not even felt. The one last week was the largest in a while.
    It's common with a significant quake to have aftershocks, and sometimes the first quake or first several are actually foreshocks. In June of '89, we had a decent little shaker in the Santa Cruz area (I was living in Santa Cruz then), and it was not until after the big Loma Prieta quake in October of that year that it was recognized as being a foreshock.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I like Ken's moon theory and suppose the gravitational effect of the moon would effect the earth's inner magma.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin