Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,670   Online: 975

Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 105054555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Does central Florida have a better climate than parts of California or are they about the same? Which is the nicer place to live?
    I've not lived in California, but even if the temperatures were similar, the humidity here is godawful in the summer. And, California has to be thought of in two if not three zones, doesn't it? SoCal is much warmer than NoCal as far as I can tell.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not lived in California, but even if the temperatures were similar, the humidity here is godawful in the summer. And, California has to be thought of in two if not three zones, doesn't it? SoCal is much warmer than NoCal as far as I can tell.
    The temps between So Cal and Nor Cal can be similar year around excluding our coastal areas, they do run cooler. We do have options of going to higher elevations at times and getting cooler temps, but it can be a bit of a drive depending upon where you're at. So Cal in the summer can flat be torture 100 to 120 degrees, again, depending upon where you're at. Death Valley holds the record at 134.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    35mm RF
    max 57F (14C) with 0.25" rain today.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bluebells are loving the sunshine!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    Death Valley holds the record at 134.
    Yes, in 1913. Death Valley (Badwater) is also the lowest (official) elevation in North America at -282-ft/-86-m below nominal sea level. So it's heating by compression because the column of air above it is higher, and thus weighs more, than anywhere else in the continent.

The valley is a magnificent example of down-dropped fault block topography, also known as horst-and-graben, or basin-and-range, topography. It's caused by an extensional pulling apart of the North American Plate in the region which causes a thinning of the earth's crust.

Driving into the monument is dramatic as one keeps descending into new valleys (the down-dropped basins) that just keep getting deeper and deeper. It's eerie to then stand at Badwater and look waaay up the side of the adjacent cliff to see the small sign that says "Sea Level". And there aren't too many inland places you can drive and see roadside signs like this one.

Even more bizarre is the fact the highest elevation point in the contiguous United States, 14,505-ft/4,421-m Mt. Whitney in the Sierra Nevada mountains, is only about 85-mi/137-km away. It's an amazing place to behold.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 05-13-2014 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added link...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, in 1913. Death Valley (Badwater) is also the lowest (official) elevation in North America at -282-ft/-86-m below nominal sea level. So it's heating by compression because the column of air above it is higher, and thus weighs more, than anywhere else in the continent.

The valley is a magnificent example of down-dropped fault block topography, also known as horst-and-graben, or basin-and-range, topography. It's caused by an extensional pulling apart of the North American Plate in the region which causes a thinning of the earth's crust.

Driving into the monument is dramatic as one keeps descending into new valleys (the down-dropped basins) that just keep getting deeper and deeper. It's eerie to then stand at Badwater and look waaay up the side of the adjacent cliff to see the small sign that says "Sea Level". And there aren't too many places you can drive and see roadside signs like this one.

Even more bizarre is the fact the highest elevation point in the contiguous United States, 14,505-ft/4,421-m Mt. Whitney in the Sierra Nevada mountains, is only about 85-mi/137-km away. It's an amazing place to behold.

Ken
    Ken, here is a look at both spots you've outlined.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ldsr0260_A_(APUG).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	534.6 KB 
ID:	87938
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lmtn0689_A_(APUG).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	733.9 KB 
ID:	87939

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. Those are beautiful. Are they yours?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. Those are beautiful. Are they yours?

Ken
    Yes, thank you for your kind comment. These are both with Mamiya RB67 ProSD and Velvia 50.

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The weather here is blackflies, swarms of them. I don't think I've seen them this bad in town before. I've seen them much worse in the woods.
    Hopefully, it's due to less BTI treatments - which reduce the blackflies, but also reduce the crawfish, newts, frogs and etc. that live in the same creeks. I'll gladly donate some blood to see the other little critters come back

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lots of rain....I can hear the grass grow...
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin