Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,823   Online: 1042

Page 9 of 69 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151959 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Winter arrived, finally!
    Looking forward to more of 14 deg. C
    Mid afternoons go around at ~30 C :|

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    its around 30-32ºF, skim coat of snow last night at about midnight
    now frozen rain and rain mix to make things extra special

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Fahrenheit has a longer scale between freezing and boiling point and therefore provides more precise reading.
    Perhaps "logical" would have been a better term to use re Celsius vs Fahrenheit measurement. To wit: in the former, water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C; in the latter, it boils at 212F and freezes at 32F. Possibly a longer scale (albeit arbitrary), but one which lacks the logic, simplicity - and beauty - of the former.

Insofar as distance/weight/volume measurement is concerned, the metric system (micro/milli/centi/deci/kilo, etc. - multiples of ten) is so much more precise that one can hardly compare it with the old English system. Small wonder that most of the world long ago went the metric route. lol
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't take advantage of it as often as I should, but sometimes the worst weather makes for the best pictures.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 on that.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Fahrenheit has a longer scale between freezing and boiling point and therefore provides more precise reading.
    A thermometer that is precise to 1 degree F is also precise to 5/9 degree C.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    A thermometer that is precise to 1 degree F is also precise to 5/9 degree C.
    True, and I'm not knocking the metric system, as when it comes to measuring solution and chemicals, I work in grams and cl. But to give you an analogy with my preference to F, if you measure a solution in a tall thin measuring cylinder with graduation marks, it can be read more easily (and perhaps more accurately) than using a wide based beaker.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Shouldn't we be using Kelvin anyway? ;-P

Currently it's 271.7 K and cloudy...

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Completely up in the air here. As a life-long northeasterner, I'm totally gobsmacked wearing sandals, shorts, and a tee shirt in December. High tomorrow will be in the upper 70s. Go figure!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ^rub it in...rub it in...

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin