Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,868   Online: 813

Shooter
    Medium Format

Buying black and white film in India.

Hello,

I plan on travelling to the south of India in January 2014. I will be bringing lots of film with me, but it's always nice to know more could be bought if needed.

Does anyone know where one could buy film in Chennai, or anywhere in Tamil Nadu or Kerala for that matter? I primarily shoot 120.

Also, does anyone know of any community darkrooms? Does that even exist in India, I wonder?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Marco Buonocore; 07-28-2013 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added film size.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've found some photography forums in India - they're quite active. One has a sticky on the topic of film supplies in India:

http://www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.p...c,24686.0.html

Once I've finished my trip, I'll post up anything I find for anyone who is interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Marco, I doubt that you get 120 film anywhere in India. Most often, 35mm bw is a struggle and available in few stores only. (see my thread in bw development).
    I would recommend that you bring over some and have them security scanned manually at the airport (incidentally, most airports have this).
    There are printers and developers but not enough merchants selling film.

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey!

Ok Film wise, there are only two places to get films in India : Madanjee / Delhi and Nikhil Enterprise / Mumbai. You will get 120 and 35 both here. All pro grade films stored in fridges. But I'd recommend anyone coming to india to come always with their own film as you might not find the brand you like. For example getting Tmax here is a pain. You can get Neopan easily and the same goes for basic 35mm films. No Ilford again.

Secondly, there are great labs again in New Delhi / Bombay but none down south. You will find darkrooms in Bangalore but I can't comment on the quality of their chemicals.

Akshay B
    New Delhi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you, Akshay B, I appreciate the reply!

If I run out of film, I suppose a long train ride to Mumbai will be the best solution.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin