Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,070   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I'd try to jettison every expectation and desired image from my head, as well as everybody else's images from there I'd ever seen, and open myself to whatever that amazing landscape offered.
    That's really excellent advice. Photograph what moves you.

Also, don't forget the interesting and marvelous people of Iceland.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Have a great time, David. Are you going with Bill Schwab?

Whatever you bring - keep it simple.
    Yes, the Schwab tour.

Simple is what I'm after, hence the "1 film" desire. Also, light weight. I had really settled on 35mm and was just experimenting with films to find the best alternative ("for me" !!!). I had pretty much given up 35mm film and done nothing but 120 for the last several years. But most of that is with the RB and it doesn't travel well. So, 35mm seemed a good kit for a trip like this. Plus, it shares lenses with my other technology body.

I love my Fuji 645 - it is normally my "travel" (read: tourist) camera, but it only has that one lens.

So, I'm considering just taking my Mamiya TLR instead. The body and 3 lenses is about the same weight as the 35mm and 3 lenses, and not significantly larger. It also does not need batteries, and I could just use the film I'm used to and be done with it. Of course, then I have those square negatives, and it may look as if I'm trying to imitate Bill Schwab ...

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I'd try to jettison every expectation and desired image from my head, as well as everybody else's images from there I'd ever seen, and open myself to whatever that amazing landscape offered.
    Good advice, and no problem there. I was a music major, and so the different drummer I have to follow is me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I left one thing out. Bring a back-up camera, just in case.

I remember my own trip to Iceland in 2001, which wasn't a photography trip, but I ended up with camera trouble half way through, and that was disappointing.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you specified there is nothing you need to know from anyone, Bon Voyage, braggart!

...,, in your own "words".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Bon Voyage, braggart!
    Well deserved ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...one of those things to wear over your eyes to block out the light when you sleep is a heaven sent when the sun refuses to set.
    Reminds me of the trip I made in '70 from Seattle to Fairbanks AL, then to Mt. McKinley (Denali N.P.). Had driven for 14 hrs/day for 5.5 days in my Land Rover to get there and was exhausted - didn't need the dark eye shades, sent up my tent at Wonder Lake (end of the road in the park). Went sound asleep, awoke at 4a.m. to find that I'd missed the sunrise by a couple hrs and the atmosphere was crystal clear. There was Mt. McKinley in all its glory. Fanatical shooting made for some wonderful images, but still I missed the sunrise colors. Over the next few days I found myself extremely tired until I realized the total hours I was spending shooting each day, making use of the daylight hours. Sunsets lasted about an hour and a half, never needed to use headlights for driving. Lord, those were the days!!! That was at about the same latitude as Iceland, just outside the Arctic Circle. Have a fantastic trip, David.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin