Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,814   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Iceland - What film should I use?

Just kidding ...

Going to Iceland with the wife, and 7 other photographers in three weeks. The wife is a painter, so rather than cameras, she'll be toting a poshade box* and watercolors. Both of us are "training": going out almost every day and field testing our gear and methods. I'm still trying to decide on 1 film (seriously, not looking for recommendations, this is personal) and will have to decide shortly so that I can order the quantity for the trip. I'm also still refining specifically which cameras and lenses to take. Want to travel light, but also don't want to get there and wish I had brought something. It'll get down to what I can stuff in the backpack!

I don't know, maybe a digital P&S ...

* 1 photo = 1,000 words: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=5260

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well I'm certainly envious. But having daydreamed about Iceland, and having seen the work of others who have photographed there, I have a
    good idea of what film I'd take. And with the potential for all that ice juxtaposed against dark rock, I'd opt for a black and white film with a long scale rather than digital. But I don't know what format you prefer... so can suggest anything too specific. If it were me I'd carry a view camera along with TMax400 and Ektar sheet film. With a MF camera I'd probably choose ACROS and Ektar. You can still use your P&S for snapshots; but given the expense of getting to and from Iceland, it would be a shame to be pitifully underequipped to handle the dramatic landscape.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    David,

Have a great time. I have wanted to do a photo trip to Iceland but it seems my schedule and the workshop schedules clash.

Looking forward to seeing some great images.

ann
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should use Kodak film.
    That is, unless you prefer that stuff from England, though some people like Japanese film.
    Pick one, but you already know that, of course.

I hope you have a great time!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been there twice in recent years, and am planning a winter trip. (Hey, it's a lot warmer in Iceland than South Dakota in winter!) Anyway, the most important thing to bring would be your polarizer. I'm not kidding. As for lenses, anything in the 24mm to 200mm range will do 90% of what you want. If you want to photo puffins, bring a 400mm. For film, I'd suggest a good ISO 100 color (such as Ektar 100) and a few rolls of HP5. When I go back I will take my Nikon digital camera but also a Leica with lenses 28/35/50/90mm. B&W in the Leica, mostly FP4.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    If you want to photo puffins, bring a 400mm.
    Well, I actually do own a 500mm for my RB, but neither is ever going in my carry-on ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I went to Iceland, I took a Fuji GA645zi loaded with Plus-X, and a Wista 5x4" with TXP320 and Portra 160. The Fuji I used heaps, as I was often tootling about with a guide in a Landrover and didn't have heaps of time to setup. Plus-X was fine in summer and gave me loads of printable detail and tone. If I went again I'd take Fuji Neopan...

The LF shots I did came out really nicely, and I thought Portra 160 really suited the colours and light there.

Next time I'd probably go in winter (brrrr) to see the Northern Lights...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a great time, David. Are you going with Bill Schwab? I'd love to make one of his trips some day, either Iceland or the Faeroe Islands.

Whatever you bring - keep it simple. The best camera is the one you're most comfortable with. Don't bring too many lenses, because you'll spend more time thinking about what lens to use than thinking about the pictures. Maybe a brush or two? Oh, one of those things to wear over your eyes to block out the light when you sleep is a heaven sent when the sun refuses to set.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I went a couple years ago, but not for a photo trip. I took a Ricoh GR1v and two 35mm rangefinders, 3 lenses (21, 28, and 50) and a selection of film. I think Portra 400, T-Max 400, and some T-Max P3200. Everything fit in a ThinkTank Photo Retro 5, which is a pretty small bag. If I went again, which I'd like to, I'd take the new Ricoh GR (digital camera) instead of the GR1v.

I had a lot of fun. It was a lovely place. With respect to my film choice, I went in November and thought a fast film would come in handy. I also I really like T-Max P3200, which is why I brought it. As for the Portra, while I'm usually mostly a B&W photographer, I think having color on a trip to a place you've never been can be nice sometimes. That's a roundabout way of saying I could have gotten by probably with just one 400 speed film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd try to jettison every expectation and desired image from my head, as well as everybody else's images from there I'd ever seen, and open myself to whatever that amazing landscape offered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin