Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,943   Online: 1100

Thread: Arad - Romania

Shooter
    35mm

Arad - Romania

It's 40C (104F) in Arad at the moment, hope it's a bit cooler when we go in early September. We're travelling by train (London, Paris, Munich, Budapest, Arad) and taking only two backpacks. I'm almost convinced that I'll just take a small P&S and a few rolls of film. I've been before and didn't think it was that nice of a place to photograph, sure, it has some nice civic buildings but I don't want to photograph them.

This is really just to ask, has anyone else been to Arad? Did you find it photogenic? Should I consider a 'better' camera that will take up space and weigh more?

Thanks,
    Steve.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Photogenic is in the eye of the beholder - perhaps the thing to do is not photograph the buildings or scenery at all, but instead concentrate on the people. Then taking a "better" camera would make more sense. Besides, you'll have a lot of places before Arad that are highly "photogenic" to burn some film in, so why build the journey around the destination?

Shooter
    35mm
    And, if weight is a consideration, and your P&S is of good enough technical quality to give results which you are happy with, why bother to take a whole lot of "better" gear.

It's sometimes refreshing to work within the constraints of a small, simple. camera with a standard lens, particularly if time is limited and photography is not the main purpose of a holiday. The photographer and his/her "artistic eye" are much more important to a successful picture than a whole lot of heavy gear.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 08-09-2013 at 04:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A simpler camera is a good idea.

But if you choose one that relies on batteries, I would suggest one that takes AA batteries.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    My P&S is a Nikon Lite Touch. My other option would be either a FM2 or a Fuji 645.

Our train journey, the bit I'm really looking forward to, has stop overs in those cities for only a few hours. We won't have time to explore. I remember Erich Hartmann used an XA for his 'Train Journey Through France' - travelling light and being inconspicuous.

This is really a family trip - we're taking our two year old to see his Romanian family for the first time - there will be lots of chatting & eating and group photos, maybe some nice candid shots. I thought the Nikon Lite Touch with the 28mm lens would be good for that and also the cramped interior of a train.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the options you've listed, my first choice would be the big point and shoot - the Fuji. Not too big, but great quality when you want it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin