Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,883   Online: 874

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I recommend you buy a small back-packers butane stove when you get to USA. You can get sealed pouches of food and heat them up anywhere. These are good and not expensive. I have used some by this company:
    http://shop.tastybite.com/Entres/c/T...FSU6QgodCFEAtw
    and I believe they and other brands are available at larger supermarkets, Whole Foods market, World Market, etc.

Jon
    That is an option, sure i can eat some simple and veggies food time to time, but i will not only eat very simple and packed and veggie food only, sure i will find options here and there, you people there must like to have food all kind for sure.

In another site, someone posted to same this thread that i need a car to get to NPs, it will make my job easier and also i can get to places that i can't get with public transport, this will make it more challenging for me as i am not good in driving overseas and i don't know about roads rules there and speeds and such, and i am also worry if i had an accident, that is why i try to avoid hiring a car, but if there is no another option then i have no choice.

Also i am not sure yet if i will carry any film gear with me, i will not talk about digital here, but with film i have many MF cameras to choose from, and only 1 LF i can think about, but then i must buy films from there and process them there, this will add more costs for me than using only digital, unless if i use my MF rangefinder then it is another story, shooting with LF is a budget itself.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Yes, it is best to rent a car. The driver manual for the states you are going to is available online. Public transport is not very good in the rural areas, nor likely to find many ethnic restaurants. For sure it is best to be flexible and self-reliant when possible. It would be silly to plan a long photo trip based mainly on suitable restaurants.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 09-02-2013 at 11:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Washington State alone is more than twice the size of the entire United Arab Emirates.

If you are going to drive there, don't start out in Seattle during rush hour.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, i think i have to spend 1 week reading about roads and driving there before i plan my trip.

Wish if i am very rich so i can hire a private driver or at least hire a driver to take me where i want when i want, but i am just a simple guy with limited budget as average not high level/class or rich.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, I'm wondering if you would like to Island hop in the San Juan Islands. Lots of seascapes from the ferries, places to stay close to the ferries, or shuttles can pick you up from your chosen accomodation, and interesting scenery any way you walk. Alternative life style kinda place, which means vegetarian, ethnic, local, interesting food easier to find than burgers and fries. (We stayed at a spot that only served local food; tasty, but kinda pricey too.) (I'm not sure about your food restrictions, whether they mean you avoid certain foods, or that you avoid anything from a kitchen where your verboten foods are cooked.)

If you are unsure about driving in an unfamiliar country, you DO NOT want to drive anywhere within 50 miles of Seattle. The locals might be used to it, but as small city folks, we were very stressed by the density, speed, traffic jams, and confusion of traffic around Seattle.

I'd be happy to never go back to Seattle, if it wasn't for Glazer's - the biggest photo store I'm ever likely to be in. The San Juan Islands I'd have no qualms about visiting again. Lovely, friendly, laid back, and the ferry system well run.

Maybe some locals will have some more info for you on the San Juans.
    Last edited by sly; 09-02-2013 at 10:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Hmm, I'm wondering if you would like to Island hop in the San Juan Islands. Lots of seascapes from the ferries, places to stay close to the ferries, or shuttles can pick you up from your chosen accomodation, and interesting scenery any way you walk. Alternative life style kinda place, which means vegetarian, ethnic, local, interesting food easier to find than burgers and fries. (We stayed at a spot that only served local food; tasty, but kinda pricey too.) (I'm not sure about your food restrictions, whether they mean you avoid certain foods, or that you avoid anything from a kitchen where your verboten foods are cooked.)

If you are unsure about driving in an unfamiliar country, you DO NOT want to drive anywhere within 50 miles of Seattle. The locals might be used to it, but as small city folks, we were very stressed by the density, speed, traffic jams, and confusion of traffic around Seattle.

I'd be happy to never go back to Seattle, if it wasn't for Glazer's - the biggest photo store I'm ever likely to be in. The San Juan Islands I'd have no qualms about visiting again. Lovely, friendly, laid back, and the ferry system well run.

Maybe some locals will have some more info for you on the San Juans.
    Talking about San Juan reminding me about Oban town in Scotland where i headed to Isle of Mull on ferry, also it is reminding me when i went with a friend on a ferry to Staten Island from somewhere in NYC, so ferry trip is also nice and i will give that a try, who knows what i may see or like there.

Well, i think the best thing i can do is using a public transport to take me out of the city and stay in some accommodations out of the big city and rent a car from there so i don't get stuck in traffic or rush hours of big cities maybe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I lived in Portland for a long time and still get up into the Northwest a few times a year. It's a beautiful part of the world, very topographically diverse, and with some pretty interesting cultural facets, though nothing as cosmopolitan as the big international cities (except Vancouver, BC, I suppose).

Travel:
    You don't want to rely on public transport except within the cities; some of them have good bus systems, but bus or train transport even between cities is inconvenient, and to anything except the cities and larger towns of the Interstate 5 corridor, it's nonexistent.

The US doesn't really have the concept of tourist "excursion" busses to points of interest. In most countries you can fly in and ask the hotel desk "How do I get to XYZ National Park?" and they send you to the right train station or bus station---in the States they'll say "Well, you drive across the Ross Island Bridge and get on Interstate 5 south, and then in about an hour you exit at..."

I don't think you'll have any difficulty driving there, though; road signs tend to be good, speed limits are posted, and so on, and in that part of the country the normal driving is quite non-aggressive, especially by international standards.

Food:

Food in the cities will not be a problem. Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver have every cuisine imaginable, and there's a big cultural movement there for vegetarian foods, locally raised food, "exotic" (to Americans) cuisines. Simple vegetarian food is easy---this is an area where you can *expect* that if you walk into a restaurant and say "I'm a gluten-intolerant vegan", they will immediately be able to tell you what they have that you can eat. (There are halal restaurants and groceries, also, if that's your concern about "forbidden meat".) You might want to spend most of your stay based in Seattle or Portland, with one- or two-day trips out into the field where you can take food along---but there's certainly no need to plan for a diet consisting solely of Tasty Bites!

Places to photograph: depends on what you want to photograph! The Columbia River Gorge and the Cascade and Coast mountain ranges are the obvious places for landscapes, and that stretch of coast is probably the most beautiful rocky coastline anywhere in the world. The cities would be OK for street photography, I suppose, but not in the "endless crowds" way of a big international city---you might do best to find places where an Event is going on. What are you looking for?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stunning minimalist landscapes may be had in the southeastern corner of Washington state. This area is known as The Palouse and is a major wheat growing region. Some online examples here. Note that this is a 300-mile/483-km drive from Seattle requiring overnight accommodations. Driving time is about 4.5-hours.

When I go it is usually with an 8x10 camera and lots of free time to think and explore. Unless I spend the night on location in a sleeping bag in the back of my truck (to catch the sunrise), I usually stay at The Wheatland Inn in the small town of Colfax, which is more or less centrally located in this region.

A rental car is essential to get to Colfax, and for later exploration. I would not count on finding familiar food locally. Probably best to bring your own, if possible, to assure good (and correct) meals. Nothing worse than being hungry because the local food is unfamiliar. No good photographs will come from that.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think i have to plan very carefully for this trip, because it has been long time since my last trip and also from what i see and search on that region i will end up shooting landscapes that i didn't did before even in New Zealand and Scotland, so i will make sure i get into enough places there, if i do good job then in about 18 days i can get most out of it, but it sounds that getting a car is the best solution to keep me busy and get most of what i want.

What i look for is just as any landscapes and nature photographer, beautiful and stunning scenes to shoot, let it be a seascape or coast side, mountains, lakes, rivers...you can name it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to consider, is the weather. It can be very cloudy and rainy west of the Cascade mountains during the winter months. It would be a waste of time to come to the Seattle area to photograph landscapes between October and May.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin