Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,355   Online: 767

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A couple of suggestions if you will be driving around:
    Hurricane Ridge outside of Port Angeles, Washington
    The Rain Forrest at Quinault (Olympic National Park) Washington
    The Pacific Coast north along hwy. 101 west of Quinault
    Cannon Beach, Oregon and the Oregon coast south on hwy. 101

If you are using a GPS and searching locations on the internet many will have the co-ordinates that can be programed into the GPS as Points of Interest (POI). This is helpful since it will let you know when you are approaching a sight especially if you have a local driving behind you in a rush to get somewhere.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm definitely partial to the Columbia River Gorge (I live on the Washington side of the Columbia River). If you get to this area, maybe we could meet up somewhere and I could show you a few areas which I feel are photo worthy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    One thing to consider, is the weather. It can be very cloudy and rainy west of the Cascade mountains during the winter months. It would be a waste of time to come to the Seattle area to photograph landscapes between October and May.

Yes, i will try hard to get my vacation by Sept-Oct if possible, if not then i am not sure if i may keep mt plan for PNW anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    I'm definitely partial to the Columbia River Gorge (I live on the Washington side of the Columbia River). If you get to this area, maybe we could meet up somewhere and I could show you a few areas which I feel are photo worthy.

Cool, thank you very much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    Yes, i will try hard to get my vacation by Sept-Oct if possible, if not then i am not sure if i may keep mt plan for PNW anyway.
    Be aware that west of the mountains, and especially on the coast, it can rain any day of the year. Any time after August, you can't really count on going to the wet part of the PNW and staying dry. It is a rainforest, after all.

But I don't see a problem with photographing wet landscapes. Most of the time you get steady light rain, rather than roaring torrential storms; you should think about how to keep your equipment dry, you might not want to go for long muddy hikes (the locals generally do, though), but rain in the Northwest doesn't bring things to a halt.

Take fast film and/or a tripod. A cloudy day in a closed forest is pretty dark. (I've always had trouble getting black and white images to work well in those forests, by the way, though some people do a great job. The challenge is all the different shades of green; to your eye they look very different, but on film they tend to merge into a general indistinct grey. If you're shooting b&w in there, keep that in mind. A green filter helps.)

East of the mountains, Oregon and Washington are both considered "high desert"---though as a Californian I wouldn't really call it "desert", more like "semi-arid scrub". Rocks and grassland, not sand, and with plenty of vegetation in most areas (the main exceptions being the lava fields). The roads, signs, and maps are good, but there is nothing to see out there except landscape features and you'll struggle to find anything you'd recognize as "civilization" outside of a few large towns like Bend and Spokane. By all means explore out there, but take food along and expect to drive for hours.

Really, people forget how BIG the western US states are. The state of Oregon, by itself, is roughly the same size as Oman (but road travel is faster, according to Google). A photo trip from Portland out into the Columbia Gorge and back is an all-day affair. Don't try to take too much in too quickly.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool, I wish if i can travel with one friend who can drive for me and we both go for photography at the same time, but its ok, i will take my time when i rent a car and drive slowly, maybe i can stop on many locations i don't imagine and then i can do a lot in 1 week or 10 days, later if i am done in about 10 days then i can spend the rest days to visit some locations again or explore newer places than the first 10 days.

I will make sure i will have a cover for rains to keep my gear dry, i will carry an umbrella too, and the good thing with me is that in my country with very hot weather i can handle not eating food for a while and we had fasting last July to first week of August, so in USA and wet weather and cold i can be fine for hours, drinking water will keep me fine and not hungry for long time, i can eat those small simple food like biscuits or muffin and such.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One thought is to see if you can schedule your vacation to coincide with one of the workshops that Bruce Barnbaum offers - his studio/darkroom is outside of Seattle, and he knows a lot of very interesting places in the area.

As far as the food questions go - in any of the big cities, you will have no problem finding good food that meets your needs. Depending upon how strict you follow the rules, many people just say that they are vegetarians, which is accepted well most everywhere, and this allows you to be accomodated anywhere.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "If you're taking photos in the rainforest, go when it's raining!"
    I don't remember his name, but his LF transparencies inspired me to get out there in the wet weather. I take a lot more photos through the wet west coast weather. Summer is for swimming!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    "If you're taking photos in the rainforest, go when it's raining!"
    I don't remember his name, but his LF transparencies inspired me to get out there in the wet weather. I take a lot more photos through the wet west coast weather. Summer is for swimming!
    I really wish if i can go with LF as well, i will see if the baggage/luggage didn't exceed the allowed weight too much then i can include my LF gear too, i have it in an Aluminium bag which will keep my camera body safe, but the lens doesn't have any case yet, so maybe i will put it with my digital gear bag, at the end i have only 2 lenses, and i only have 4x5, those beautiful places deserve no less than 8x10, and i will not carry my digital MF which beats all my DSLRs in quality, so only DSLR with one rangefinder film MF and if there is room for weight then also LF.

If i carry any film gear then i will only buy films from there if i can find the shops easily selling films, and also i will go with labs processing there, i never trust the airports checking systems to harm the film either un-exposed or un-developed[exposed], so better buy them fresh or new or even expired stored nicely from the stores there and send them to labs when exposed then carry my processed film back home.

Wish me good luck to have it this year i hope.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry Tareq, I was just urging you to go out into the woods if it's raining. Take whichever camera you want, even the DSLR. It can get very dim under the big trees, so a tripod's important.

There are many shades of green here in the coast forests, all year round. I hope you plan on shooting some colour, especially as you live in a part of the world with a very different colour scheme.

I'm used to it now, but when I first arrived here from eastern Canada, I was amazed at the lushness. it seemed that if I sat on a rock or a log for a few minutes, the moss would grow right over me. My son went to school in a big city in the east. Once, when I picked him up from the airport he exclaimed, "I'm home! Look! More than one tree at a time!!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin