Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,151   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pacific Northwest trip help

Hi all,

I am planning if can get my vacation from work as soon as possible to visit USA again, and i decided i will take that direct flight to Seattle so i ca be on the North/West states there, i am thinking i would like to have about 18 days up to 3 weeks if possible, so my few questions:

- Which areas i should be around there for photography?
    - How much is the transport if available to national parks around there?
    - Can i get some restaurants with international cuisine because i am not much with meat food specially with forbidden meat and trying to have very very similar food to what i eat in my country [Arabian, indian, middle eastern or turkish...etc]

- If you can help or give some guides, are there some cheapo hotels there so i can move around as cheap as possible?

I am thinking to be in Oregon and Washington states ad not planning to go to another many states very far, even California i m not looking for to visit which is not that much far by flight, but i am thinking to use buses or trains and those lands transports than air.

I appreciate any help here to plan my trip at best i can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/

Columbia river gorge.

The whole Oregon coast...
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/

Columbia river gorge.

The whole Oregon coast...
    Ok, cool, thanks!

Hope to get answer for other things too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There seems to be a fair number of Turkish cuisine options in Seattle. Here is one example that a Google search revealed quickly: http://www.bistroturkuaz.com/
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Speaking for Portland Oregon, you will find all kinds of cuisine. Turkish, Indian, Ethiopian, Lebanese, Japanese and anything else you can think of. The Oregon coast is beautiful and motels are not so expensive now that school is starting again. There is good train service from Seattle to Portland and good bus service in Oregon. You can ride a bus from Portland to the Oregon coast with no problem.

Seattle is a larger and probably more interesting city and it is beautifully situated on a "Sound" off the ocean. My guess is that motels here are very cheap by UAE standards.

Dennis

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Vancouver and Victoria BC are also options worth considering if you have 3 weeks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What type of photography do you do? For landscape, go to the coast, then go to the Cascade mountains. The Gorge is a must, so are the deep recesses of the forest in the coast range...wait...can you tell us what you like to photograph and maybe we can help. Growing up there, I think I can still draw a map of both states from memory, with major rivers, mountains, roads and must see places. Tell us what you want to see.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, i was mostly meaning if i will be away from the big cities, say if i will try to stay in lodges or backpackers around in NPs then the food is less variety than from the big cities.

My main trip is photography, and what i will photograph are: Landscapes, seascapes or waterscapes near the likes, rivers,...etc, cityscape, but nothing can beat sunsets around by the coast and the mountains surround, so those are my main consideration of my trip.

And other recommended me to hire a car, i know it is the best option, but i don't drive overseas, so maybe i am not gonna rent a car to drive by myself even i am good at driving.

So, basically i may be away from the city sometimes running after landscapes and nature calls so then i have to know what accommodations i can find and what kind of food i may find there, i know that big cities mostly have those international food of all cuisines so it may not be a problem in big cities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    Vancouver and Victoria BC are also options worth considering if you have 3 weeks.
    Well, may main plan before was Canada only, but i don't want to talk about few simple issues here in my country for getting Canadian visa, so that i canceled Canada from my list for now and later one day i will sort it that visa issue much earlier before my plan to Canada.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I recommend you buy a small back-packers butane stove when you get to USA. You can get sealed pouches of food and heat them up anywhere. These are good and not expensive. I have used some by this company:
    http://shop.tastybite.com/Entres/c/T...FSU6QgodCFEAtw
    and I believe they and other brands are available at larger supermarkets, Whole Foods market, World Market, etc.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin