Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,399   Online: 811

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tokyo, Japan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alohakeith View Post
    I visited Tokyo in April and purchased a camera from MAP camera in the Shinjuku district. They have a very nice selection.
    I bought one, almost two, at MAP Camera a few years ago. At the time the exchange rate was about the same as it is now, but I don't know how much other factors may have affected prices---they seemed pretty good on used *Japanese* gear then. European-made cameras are thinner on the ground and more expensive, of course. I don't remember what film prices were like, though I did wander through Yodobashi and boggle at the selection.

It's a really photogenic city and you kind of can't miss. Shinjuku is the traditional district for interesting street fauna; Akihabara is worthwhile as well, though the back alleys of little electronics shops apparently have *much* less character than they used to. (I think you're not supposed to photograph the store greeters in the French maid outfits.) The bay front is quite scenic in an urban-bay way; the best views might be from Odaiba. But basically, just get out and wander. Get off the main streets and into the residential districts and the city changes very, very quickly---it has a reputation as a bright-neon never-sleeps megalopolis, but you wouldn't know it even from some of the places within a couple of blocks of the major thoroughfares.

As a random sidelight, I really recommend the Ramen Museum in Shin-Yokohama! It's not a big photo attraction, but it's well worth while.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Back home, and getting over the jet lag...12 hours time difference!

Visited many different areas in Tokyo. Loved the country. Got a chance to visit Narita before leaving, it is a nice town!

Didn't spend too much time taking pictures, it was too hectic a trip. Will have to go back again.

I did purchase some Velvia 50 in 4x5 and 8x10, which many people in North America would be surprised to know still exists! Picked that up at Yodabashi Camera. Decided not to buy anything else, just from the perspective of carrying it back.

Overall, I highly recommend visiting Japan. I can't articulate everything right now, but for starters I would say it has some of the best food of any place I've been. And that is important in my book.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and insights, it was very helpful. Cheers!

Shooter
    Holga
    I'm curious as to how much you paid for the 8x10 velvia....
    /Frank

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    8x10 Velvia 50 is 29,600 yen

4x5 Velvia 50 is 8,680 yen

Both are 20 sheet boxes

That works out to about $15 USD per sheet for 8x10. Not a cheap film by any definition, but if you want to try it, it's there (for now).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin