Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,941   Online: 784

Thread: Singapore

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Singapore

Guys, photogenic stuff in Singapore.

Also camera shops, places to buy film, etc if they have it, I'm going for 10 days in November

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shophouses in Chinatown. Fort Canning Park.

Stores: Cathay Camera, Ruby Photo. There are a number of others all clustered within hand-grenade range of one another downtown near City Hall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What do you want to photograph? I just left Singapore yesterday. There are some interesting markets. China town is Ok, but too many tee shirts and plastic trinkets for westerners. I found the markets near Bugis (not the ones in the building, but the open air ones) a bit more interesting. There is also some temples in amongst that lot (but be cautious and respectful of 'no photography' rules). They appeared to be more vibrant on the weekend.

For scenic views, anything across Marina Bay should be good. If you want to shoot night time shots, the laser and light show can make interesting images. From our room in the Swissotel, looking across the bay, with the theatres in the foreground, it had a 'War of the Worlds' feel (but I confess, I did use d..ital for those shots).

Shooter
    35mm
    Haven't been to Singapore since 1988, but, Merlion Park was one of my favorite spots. There's a pretty nice statue there of Singapore's signature mythical creature - or used to be! I have a shot of it, taken 1988, with my trusty Minolta X-570 I'd love to see how the thing has aged over the years. There are also tons of interesting mythical being statues adorning the many Hindu temples in the city.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I said Chinatown shophouses, I didn't mean the merchandise, but the architecture. There are also a number that have been overhauled and showcase outstanding modern design, blending Asian and Western architectural traditions, although some of this may be inaccessible as the redesigns are mostly interior. Chinatown is one of the very rare areas in Singapore that are architecturally protected, and still has much of its late 19th/early 20th century feel. For something a bit different and a bit of cognitive dissonance, take the bus or the MRT out to Holland Village - it is what it sounds like to great degree. A bit of Northern European architecture plonked down in the middle of a tropical rainforest. And pass the US Embassy to get a bit of a feel for how the rest of the world percieves it - it's a massive fortress on the top of a hill, screaming arrogance tinged with paranoia. It's no wonder the rest of the world has mixed feelings about the country.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I live in Singapore and have been here since '98. TheFlyingCamera's recommendations for film are spot on. Ruby for Ilford, Cathay Photo Kodak & Fuji, Konata (same building) Fuji film. What do you want to photograph, is certainly an important question. Little India and Chinatown are good people places reflecting some more traditional lifestyles - wander around, walk down alleys, its all safe. Postcard type shots; Gardens by the Bay and around the general Marina Bay area.

These are some examples of what you can shoot; Any question just ping me.
    1) Singapore Misc
    2) Little India

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's an official Leica shop in the Raffles Hotel building, not sure if they sell film. It's more of a museum IMHO as obviously everything there is new and made of unobtanium! There was an interesting print display there when I was there about a month ago so it's worth checking out if you visit Raffles at all.

Quote Originally Posted by craygc View Post
    I live in Singapore and have been here since '98. TheFlyingCamera's recommendations for film are spot on. Ruby for Ilford, Cathay Photo Kodak & Fuji, Konata (same building) Fuji film...
    Are there any second hand camera sellers in Singapore or is the humidity too much and the attrition rate simply too high for lenses to last? I asked several shop keepers about second hand camera stores when I was there recently and didn't get any useful advice so I'd be interested to hear from some one who lives there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    Are there any second hand camera sellers in Singapore or is the humidity too much and the attrition rate simply too high for lenses to last? I asked several shop keepers about second hand camera stores when I was there recently and didn't get any useful advice so I'd be interested to hear from some one who lives there.
    There are a few 2nd camera shops around; the good thing is that a lot are all in the same area. As mentioned earlier the City Hall (MRT) area is probably your best stop. Peninsula Plaza has Cathay Photo (Ground Floor). They operate across 3 or 4 shops all next to and adjacent each other. Between them there are a couple of 2nd hand camera stores. Ruby Photo is across the road (Coleman Rd) in Peninsula Shopping Centre (also ground floor); there are a couple of more 2nd hand camera stores here as well (same level). However, I have never bought 2nd hand here (EVER) as the pricing are not reflective of a global market. I have always been able to get better pricing on ebay or from KEH. There's not necessarily anything problematic with their condition of equipment here but the market is small so choice is not large and price is just non-competitive. Its probably worth having a look but ensure you know your pricing before hand...

Mentioning the Leica store at Raffles Hotel, I think you might be right (its also a 2 min walk from City Hall MRT station so all in the same vicinity). Im a Leica shooter and I've never been there. Its just one of those now standard Black and Red Leica decor environments that merely hype up the name - a bit like a Prada handbag shop. And, no they don't sell film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to go to Singapore quite often on business, but have not been there since 1999. If memory serves, there is not much of the old architecture still standing; Chinatown, the Indian section and Raffles are all that I can remember. Everything else is quite modern, ranging from uninspired apartment blocks to spectacular new buildings downtown. Of course, as they are constantly building everything may look different by now. The night views across the harbor or from a well placed high rise building, are pretty nice.
    For what ever reason, I never carried a camera while there, but I do remember thinking that it would be a street shooters paradise. My Singaporean business associates once told me that there were only two things to do there: eat and shop. Both of those activities, given the density of the population make for good street shooting, with an emphasis on the hawker centers (food courts). You'll have to check re any restrictions in these areas. One of the things that stuck in my memory was the Night Zoo; look it up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin