Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,473   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Questions on Glacier National Park

I'm doing a little pre-scouting for a visit to Glacier National Pk. I'm unfortunately limited to a visit between October and Early April so I'm questioning timing as well as lodging and perhaps camping or a short organized trip. I would also appreciate any info on side trips outside the park as well. My available time is unfortunately only a week and I'll probably rent a car after flying up from Fla so that cuts into the time as well unless I cash in some sick days. Thoughts?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are aware that the Park is usually closed during this time. Some of it might be open in Oct. just check the web site for closing/opening times. There should be some motels open all year but campgrounds might all be closed. I checked several webcameras just the other day and saw much snow on the peaks. Other APUGers in the area should chime in with more detailed info. Good luck, RandyB

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Always a good place to start: http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

Most of the campgrounds are closed during the winter, except for a couple around Apgar/Lake McDonald Valley, as is the famous Going–to–the–Sun Road, and Many Glacier Hotel on the east side. Likewise, North Fork destinations will all be inaccessible by vehicle. But there's always skis! You can get good trip and backcountry information at the "local" Missoula REI, for whom GNP and its environs are their backyard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The snow can be pretty bad during those times.

On one of our visits, they had 3 ft of snow on Memorial day. Dont underestimate the weather - and the bears. On our first visit, a ranger was attacked and eater by a bear.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    On our first visit, a ranger was attacked and eater by a bear.

PE
    There was nearly as serious an incident when BradleyK was taking pictures somewhere in Canada - see his thread

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I'm doing a little pre-scouting for a visit to Glacier National Pk. I'm unfortunately limited to a visit between October and Early April so I'm questioning timing as well as lodging and perhaps camping or a short organized trip. I would also appreciate any info on side trips outside the park as well. My available time is unfortunately only a week and I'll probably rent a car after flying up from Fla so that cuts into the time as well unless I cash in some sick days. Thoughts?
    If that is the only time of year you can get away I would probably consider going to a different location as parts oft he park are already closed now.
    http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/hours.htm

The Going to the Sun Road was by far my favorite part of visiting the park and your going at a time when part or all of the he road will be closed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok; thanks for the info and I guess it's another location I'll have to choose. Too bad since it may be years before I get there. Guess it's a summer type of place.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which one?

There is also the Canadian version: http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/glacier/index.aspx
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, let me chime in with a bit more information.
    1) Glacier N.P. is open year round. Snowshoeing is very popular in the winter.
    2) The campgrounds switch to primitive camping only, on Sept. 22. In practical terms, this means that they shut the water off. Pit toilets are available after that date however. I presume that you have to pack your water in, although it is conceivable that you could get water from the ranger station, but I don't know.
    3) the hotels and motor inns within the park close around the same time for the season.
    4) Going-to-the-sun road will close based on snowfall, but will typically be open from each side up to a point which varies depending on weather conditions. I don't think it usually closes completely. It will open to through traffic in June most years, again depending on conditions.
    5) My family visited earlier this month and I learned that there are about a dozen fewer glaciers in the park than when I was last there in my teens. They expect that all of them will be gone sometime between 2020 and 2030.
    6) it is a fantastic place to view wildlife. We saw mt. goats, deer, squirrels, a marmot, ptarmigan, a fox, and when I'm done printing it, I will share a photo or 28 that I shot of a bull moose in the gallery. Yeah, I went a little crazy shooting for nearly an hour while he drank and cooled his hooves in Lake Josephine.
    7) there are motels within driving distance of the park where you can find lodging and drive in for the day. Very worthwhile. Check out the webcams.
    8) bring a lot of film Wayne, a lot of film
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Ok; thanks for the info and I guess it's another location I'll have to choose. Too bad since it may be years before I get there. Guess it's a summer type of place.
    If this government shutdown happens then you will have an even bigger problem. All the national parks would be closed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin