Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,890   Online: 941

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vietnam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    There are two very enticing photos in part of the downloadable Lonely Planet Vietnam guide (.pdf format); you can download individual chapters or the whole book (well, at least here in Australia!). The country is pretty accessible and quite different to the ultra-modern world that most of us live and work in; in some respects it's like stepping back a few centuries! I would expect a few surprises. Might be best to go on an organised tour rather than solo; it seems to me that many solo travels pose the most perplexing questions in forums (e.g. lonelyplanet.com/thorntree).

What is your genre, landscape, people, architecture, mountains, festivals, night scenes? At the time mine was people and architecture (now, for a long time, the landscape). I can recall having been overwhelmed for a few days until I got my marbles back!! I was initially even fearful of the place (many beggars and touts that I can recall). Keep your wits about you and be wary of flashing expensive camera gear around in big-note cities like Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh.
    Hi,

Well my genre is landscapes and culture, I especially want to see places few have been yet (No, I'm too scared to go to North Korea for now.)

Though right now I'm trying to determine a budget for the trip, plane fare is no problem with accessible budget flights like airasia. But generally what can I expect in terms of logging, food and transport? Will not be buying march, the only thing I hope to be taking back are photos, memories and a better sense of other cultures.

and also hopefully an addiction to do more travelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vietnam is probably the cheapest place on the planet to travel to, bus or fly about; I think that's because of the Dong, valued at 20,000:1 (Dong:USD), which can also cause nightmares at ATMs when literally thousands of notes of Dong are spewed out for something like a $50 withdrawal!! It was not cheap for us in 2003; things have changed hugely in a decade. Maybe seek out items of interest at Angkor wat (Hindu/Buddhist) in evening or morning light — it is hauntingly beautiful, if so well-known as a tourist trap that you will be standing in millions of previous footsteps and probably won't get something that none of the rest of the inquisitive world has seen before you. The most remote areas of Vietnam are probably best done (safety and local knowlege) with a guide (our own tour was with an Australian-based company at the time which was taken over by APT some years ago). I can't imagine finding any really accessible wilderness/undiscovered areas close to cities because so many photographers do visit Vietnam with the same ideals! If we go again and I photograph Ha Long Bay, I'd first hope to get rid of all those tourist junk boats cluttering the scene — they really are prolific and pesky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vietnam

Angkor Wat is in Cambodia.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hoi An is very photogenic and a Unesco World Heritage site.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/948
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm Chinese too!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingartemis View Post
    Hmm, I guess Americans do standout in Vietnam but I'm a chinese Malaysian. So i wonder how will they react to be instead. I've been oddly mistaken for either a Japanese, mainland chinese and Thai before when I was in those countries. I actually hope Vietnam would be a first step in a nice long vacation or eye opener.
    I'm Chinese American and traveling with our group so I wasn't asked if I were Japanese . Actually you won't stand out at all because Chinese have been immigrating to Vietnam for the last 800 years. Culturally similar.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I'm Chinese American and traveling with our group so I wasn't asked if I were Japanese . Actually you won't stand out at all because Chinese have been immigrating to Vietnam for the last 800 years. Culturally similar.
    You're right! that would actually help in my shooting, until I pull out my camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one more question to ask, I'm planning to go in Mid February, would that be a good time to go? Or should I delay until April as some have recommended?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin